What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 Italian picket mine

BMG50

Premium Member
Has any one seen these about or even got one. Not sure how rare they are. They were abundant during the war but seemed to have dwindled away. Can't even see any on the Lexprev site.

Perhaps this one? - 'Merkblatt 29/9 "Italienische Minen", 1.9.1943':

Scan10011.jpg Scan10012.jpg Scan10013.jpg Scan10014.jpg Scan10015.jpg Scan10016.jpg Scan10017.jpg

Never seen neither an original piece nor a picture yet.

Last edited:
Thats the little beasty. It seems they are very hard to find. Something i will have to look out for or even make.

Hello BMG50
The United States used some of them in Viet Nam,I am lucky to have the U.S. version complete,but I do not have a fuse for the WW2 version.Hope you find one.
vinny

"V. 1" frag mine in Viet-Nam ? Sounds very strange !
Could you post some pictures of your device, please ?

Regards
Stecol

Better late than never.Here is the CIA version,Im not positive which bobby trap they used.
vinny :tinysmile_grin_t:

Attachments

• MVC-024S.JPG
    MVC-024S.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 66
  • MVC-025S.JPG
    MVC-025S.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 62
  • MVC-026S.JPG
    MVC-026S.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 50
Thank you STECOL I have not seen this information.You would think the V would be before the V 1.:tinysmile_shy_t:

Vinny, have you got a reference for this?

Hello BMG50
The United States used some of them in Viet Nam,I am lucky to have the U.S. version complete,but I do not have a fuse for the WW2 version.Hope you find one.
vinny

The Italian picket mine was different to a post war stake mine, in that the shrapnel was square wire wrapped around the body of the mine and the det holder had a sliding tray to make the mine safe or not. They were very common in North Africa during WW2, not sure if they used on the Eastern front as the Italians were also fighting with the Germans against the Russians. One on my B4 mines came from Slovenia.