What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 US 40mm Bofors Colour Question

Weasel

Premium Member
Can anyone tell me what the colour red with white stripe on the fuze signified please, cant make it out in the picture as its to low quality to zoom.
Best regards Weasel.

40mm Bofors Colour Question.jpg

Weasel
Not sure but I think
its a BL-T blind load with tracer
or it could be a bacon lettuce and tomato
here's a better picture of the board

Attachments

• EAF1-H-O1-O.jpg
    EAF1-H-O1-O.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
That's the very common HEI-T Sd. Unless you mean the one with the red body which is a BL-T

Ray

Last edited:
Rick, that's an inert projectile. It may have a tracer at best (as here). So basically a TP or TP-T.

Hmmm. Why haven't I heard of this before? I guess I need to get out more. Thanks.

Some larger US navy projectiles were also marked as BL&P = blind and plugged. Means the projectile was inert and had a dummy fuze or shipping plug fitted.

Rick,

THe term is only used by the Navy. You know how they have to be different and have their own way, right?

Thanks for all your reply's that has sorted that one out for me, blind load tracer it is. Thank you Ordman for the better picture of the board I remember bidding on that one when it was on ebay many years ago went for more than I could spare.
Best regards Weasel.

Rick

All (or most) of the US Navy projectiles had a Blind Loaded version. It was usually identified by a red painted body. The 20mm had it's own color scheme. An inert material was used to bring the projectile up to weight. Things such as sand, sawdust, etc were used.

And, it's not the USN that is different. They set the standard and everyone else is different. ;)

Ray

"And, it's not the USN that is different. They set the standard and everyone else is different."

Fer sure :)

I should have clarified.

A red body color for BL projectiles was the standard during WW II and for some years after. I can't say what it is today. Also, the color schemes before WW II were different. A BL or target projectile back then was unpainted while a red body signified a gas filler.

Ray

While we are on the subject can anyone tell me what the black painted fuzes for WW2 40mm projectiles you often come across are for as i don't recall seeing any in books or on line sources, or have they just been repainted ?
Best regards Weasel.

WEASEL,

Do the black painted fuzes you mention have their internals, or are they just the outer body? I'm thinking they were inert or dummy variations, or just repainted like you say.

Hi Hazord,
Thanks for your reply, i have had 4 or 5 over the years and all have the same paint job that makes me think that it must have been an official colour or someone repainted a lot of fuzes at one time. there is a internal cylinder screwed in that i cant remove or have not really tried to remove with a hole in the top for i imagine a striker pin to action through.
Best regards Weasel.
Fuze WW2 Bofors (Black) 006.jpgFuze WW2 Bofors (Black) 002.jpg

The boards shown in the beginning did not show all color codes.
Those with black bands/fuzes should be HE-T or HEI-T dim tracers.