What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 US 40mm Bofors Colour Question

WEASEL,

The piece that is screwed into your fuzes is the booster that would detonate the TNT charge in the main body of the projectile. If the booster had been filled with tetryl, it would have a plate inserted into the couterbore that you see, and the edge would have been roll-crimped around to hold the plate in. We also see red and white and green versions of these in the states, with the empty booster. They would be used in inert loaded projectiles.

Thanks Hazord,
That makes sense now it look at it, i have not seen a "live" booster so had not considered how the charge would have been secured, and thank you Ordman for the second picture, bit stumped on what HEP-NP stands for as i can work out most of the ordnance acronyms but this one is past me. Attached is a image of a US WW2 dated projectile that i have had for years and never managed to identify until now, well i know it exists as the HEP-NP but hopefully that will soon been expanded upon. All empty and inert.
Best regards Weasel.

HEP-NP 02.jpgHEP-NP 01.jpg

Heres a shot of a fuze I used to have. Notice the booster detail as John mentioned above."Inerted from the other side" And also,an example of the projectile in question.
showfuzes 005.jpg40mmB 003.jpg

weasel
Give me a day to dig out the naval 40mm reference books
I'll send you list of the acronyms
I just got back from Aberdeen swap meet not what I hoped it would be scale 1-10 about a 5.5

Naval acronyms 101
Here you go weasel and anybody else thats interested
Here are what the abbreviations mean
Weasal HEP-NP stands for High Explosive Plugged - Nose Plug
So maybe that also answers what the black painted fus is a dummy nose plug
scan0001.jpgscan0002.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ordman,
Thank you very much for taking the time to look out the paperwork it is much appreciated, really nice to be able to identify this and other rounds that have mystified me for years. Nice picture Lou thanks for the fuze breakdown.
Best regards Weasel.