Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Smoke grenades

Ordnance Approved
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EODGUY View Post
    Wonder if Federal Labs sold the boards or if they were give aways. I figured that there were a lot more around. Mine was a find in a dusty corner of an antique shop. The owner tucked it away as far as he could because he didn't want customers to think he had "dangerous" things in his shop. I was more than happy to make his customers happy for the $5.00 he wanted for it.
    $5.00, Man did he see you comming !!!

I am not sure, however believe that they were probably sold as instruction training aids or possibly given to large agencies who used Federal Laboratories Products Exclusively. Competition between Federal and LECCO was stiff from the early days (Like The Old S&W / Colt Debate). In the late 1990's I called Federal Laboratories to inquire about these cutaway boards and was advised that no one employed at that time could recall any information in relation to era(s) of manufacture. I have yet to find a Federal Labs Catalog that shows one. I am guessing from the models displayed on my board it is possibly from the 1960's???

I have always believe that these types of Police Munitions make a great collection and have been underrated as far as collectables.

Here are some additional Federal Labs. Factory Supplied Inert's circa 1930's - 1970's that I have assembled over the years, I still have some additional ones that have not been photographed yet ................
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Any Ordnance Items Shown In My Post(s) Have Been Dealt With Accordingly By EOD Personnel"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inertordnance For This Useful Post:

copdoc (19th October 2020), reccetrooper (23rd October 2017)

Images
    Thanks

smoke

Some of the Norwegian smoke grenades.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tertiten2 For This Useful Post:

copdoc (19th October 2020)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by US-Subs View Post
    Kilgore made a lot of stuff, but as I recall most was police type and designs trying to make it into the military market. Don't know if they ever actually did anything for a military contract. EODGUY did quite a bit with grenades through that timeframe and may know better.
    Kilgore was a relatively important ordnance manufacturer during WWII. Originally from Ohio and then moved to Tennessee. They made M2 APERS mines in the 1950s which were then exported to Pakistan. https://books.google.de/books?id=ZH3rDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA204&dq=kilgore+landmine +new+jersey&hl=de&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwibxfjM_bDsAhWpw4 sKHRk5ANIQ6AEwAHoECAAQAg#v=onepage&q=landmines&f=f alse

Mines produced post-WWII by Kilgore were M1A1 and M2A4. M1 is AT and M2 is APERS. Sorry, I can't get rid of the underscoring.

Note
    https://books.google.de/books?id=6MUuAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA352&dq=kilgore+landmine +antipersonnel&hl=de&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjI6Mes8bHsAhW CsaQKHYQRC6QQ6AEwBHoECAQQAg#v=onepage&q=M2A4&f=fal se

And some company history right here:
    http://www.smallarmsreview.com/displ...darticles=1317
    Last edited by Delta Sierra; 13th October 2020 at 05:38 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Delta Sierra For This Useful Post:

Fragman (14th October 2020)

Thanks
    I thank the BOCN members for this great reference on Smoke Grenades, all before I had a computer. Great reference. Great reading.
    I have posted Smoke grenades on other posts.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ron3350 For This Useful Post:

Fragman (14th October 2020)

Thanks
    This may be the last Fed Lab inert board. 1994. I looked in old catalogs. They were not in catalogs but listed on price sheets some years. They did not sell to individuals unless used in training and with references.

They were pretty expensive so 5 bucks is fair. Lol. 82 and 88 listed as $375. 1994 listed as $400. 94 is after being merged with MSI. Mace canisters were attached as well as Ferrets with AAI markings. I think even though listed, they were made as needed. Someone here may have worked there and can say for sure. Display boards do not have the 2 training rounds attached. 240 and P112 L.

Police Supply companies and training units sometimes had theses boards.

I hope this helps.

20160718_195618.jpg

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to copdoc For This Useful Post:

Fragman (17th October 2020), reccetrooper (20th October 2020), Tmine35 (18th October 2020), V40 (17th October 2020)

Thanks
    I read these post in more detail today. Nice to see so many variations.

Here is something I wrote previously on HC.

"Hexachloroethane was mixed with Zinc oxide along with other things. Metal fume fever we call the damage. Welding galvanized metal can also cause it.

I would not breath any smoke compound if I can avoid it."

Many compounds have been used in smoke devices. At least one company has tried to make theirs less toxic but still, try not to inhale any of them.

I did not see the federal lab board from 1980s so I'll add a pic.
    20201019_171927.jpg

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Some South African smokes. (Inert, empty, FFE)

Wanted: Baton/Irritant rounds (inert) and associated items, .700 NE (inert) and boxes (empty), .32-40 cartridge boxes (empty), WW2 British shotgun cartridge boxes (empty), Greener Police Gun cartridge boxes (empty). Message me if you have any of these items for sale/trade.

Ordnance Approved/premium membership
    Images
    Thanks
    Some Danish Smoke bombs.
    Smokebomb_M37.jpg
    M37
    Smokebomb M37.jpg
    M57
    455 gram. Content 270 gram Phosfor.
    Smokebomb M57 Ignited.jpg
    M57 ignited.

Smokebomb_M77.jpg
    M77
    M77_Smoke_30 seconds after ignition.jpg
    M77 30 seconds after ignition.
    600 gram. Content Hexit.
    Smokebomb_M93.jpg
    M93
    Smokebomb_M93_30 seconds after ignition.jpg
    M93 30 seconds after ignition.
    Charge 490 gram. Content 5% Kaliumperchlorat, 8% Magnesium, 44% Kaliumklorid, 27% Kaliumnitrat, 16% Azo-dicarbonamid.
    "All live or dug ordnance shown in my posts has been dealt with by qualified EOD personnel"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Anders For This Useful Post:

copdoc (21st October 2020)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456