What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoke grenade thread

The Grenade Hand Smoke HC C1A1 is a Canadian HC Smoke grenade. There are three models in the series, the C1, C1A1, and C1A2. Unfortunately, I cannot remember who HCI is. I will see if I can dig it up.

Hi,

Again, referring to an existing thread...

Can anyone confirm that these are South African smoke grenades?

They are listed as possible British grenades on Lex's site:

http://www.lexpev.nl/grenades/europe/unitedkingdom/xm0137a.html

The lever markings are similar to the Instant Light grenade which I think is also South African.

I'm wondering if the smoke grenades were part of tests to replace the No.83/No.80 smoke grenades.

And does anyone have a spare lever for the second smoke grenade?

Thanks,

Gary

Exp Screening Smoke.jpg Instant Light Gren 1.jpgInstant Light Gren 2.jpg

99.9% sure that all these are South African manufactured. The markings on the screening smoke are a mixture of British and American, ie. "Grenade Hand Smoke Screening" sounds very British and the "XM" marking being trials/experimental for the US, also the purple band is British trials marking too. If you look in your Janes Infantry weapons you will find vey similar examples. I personally think you are on the right lines with the smokes being part of British trials for a replacement screening grenade, there were quite a few around over here at the time but I did not manage to get one myself :(

The light Grenade is peculiar to SA, I'm sure there is a thread on here about it somewhwere.