What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105mm projectile question

youngbrain

Hello to all..:)

I was just wondering about this projectile why it has no pointed tip. It seemed to be original since its perfectly square & i see no sign that it was cutted recently. The length is about 207mm(10-5/8")

What could this be? Please help... Thanks in advance

regards;
andrew

Cannister. The fuse ignites a charge under the balls which forces them out. The illustration is from Shrapnel Shell Manufacture.

Attachments

• ScreenShot049.jpg
    ScreenShot049.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 56
Oh i see now... Thanks a lot for the info. Just got this from a scrapyard,maybe an american round from ww2. do you have some colored picture of this kind please? Did the japs used this type of shell too?

andrew

Andrew i dont think this is a shrapnel round as shown in birdseyes drawings,these were phased out pre or early ww2 in favour of normal HE fragmentation rounds it looks very similar to the bottom half of the 105 smoke ive attatched picture of,The aluminium section if it is of similar type is likely to have been salvaged by the scrap dealer,
please note this is not a 100% positive id ,just my opinion

Attachments

• compare.jpg
    compare.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 50
Andrew i dont think this is a shrapnel round as shown in birdseyes drawings,these were phased out pre or early ww2 in favour of normal HE fragmentation rounds it looks very similar to the bottom half of the 105 smoke ive attatched picture of,The aluminium section if it is of similar type is likely to have been salvaged by the scrap dealer,
please note this is not a 100% positive id ,just my opinion

You are correct of course. Too quick on the draw I was.

andrew whats the base like on this round,solid or missing ?

Hello Sir Spotter...:)

This has a solid base... and look so similar with what you showed on the photo...:)

I had also read that shrapnel rounds was obsolete during ww2. only Japan & Russia used old fashion shrapnel during that time

Just wondering what is the use of this shell?smoke ive? what does this mean?

The ogive maybe was salvage or was corroded with time.

Thanks for the info Sir Spotter, sorry i got lots of questions...:)
God Bless

andrew