What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17cm Minenwerfer.....

starshell

Premium Member
Hi all,
Does anyone know for certain if the 17cm Minenwerfer ever had a copper driving band? I'd really appreciate a picture or at least confirmation.
Many thanks in advance!

Hi Minenaz16,
Yes indeed, I remember that thread....
But now I have another 17cm, but this time this one has a Copper driving band?? I think I remember you very kindly providing info for me last time, and saying that Model 13 17cm minenwerfers had a Copper or Brass band.
But I can't find any definate info or pictures of said shell with a Copper band. I suspect this may also be a re-banded job. Seen loads with Brass band, but Copper?
Have I bought a dud??
Really struggling to find a 'proper' untinkered 17cm!!
Cheers,

Hi Minenaz16,
I see what you mean. Mine looks very similar, but turned out to be Copper.
Cheers!

Normal are zinc or brass driving bands but brass was sometimes replaced by bronze (it's slightly darker than brass). Brass and bronze would be much harder than copper, it's easy to distinguish.

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.
I'll sit on this one for a while then (not literally...). Still looking for a cracking example, so till then it'll stay.

I have a 25cm minenwerfer with a copper band but not a 17cm. So if they made the 25cm ones with a copper band there is every good chance they did the same with the 17cm, although I suspect rather rare.

Best

D.

Many thanks for that Burney Davis. It makes sense given that comparison. As mentioned earlier, I've yet to find any illustrations or official descriptions of Copper banded 17cm's but then I guess if they were uncommon/rare would the info have ever existed anyway? Seems the Zinc/Brass bands won the day....
Many thanks.

Hello,

17cm m.Spr.M.13 with different bands : brass and copper (or bronze alloy).

Regards

IMG_4826.jpgIMG_4827.JPGIMG_4831.jpgIMG_4830.jpg

Thanks a million for that Minenaz16,
That exactly what I was hoping to find out, and great pics too. Much appreciated!
Another mystery solved...
Cheers!