What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1928 dated 37mm tracer projectile.

SG500

Premium Member
Here's another one that I put in the ECRA journal but didn't get much feedback on it.
The pictures say it all really.
A fired 37mm projectile dated 1928 on the projectile and tracer.
Anyone any ideas?
All INERT etc.
Dave.

Attachments

• 18 April 09 015.JPG
    18 April 09 015.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 18 April 09 016.JPG
    18 April 09 016.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 18 April 09 017.JPG
    18 April 09 017.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 18 April 09 018.JPG
    18 April 09 018.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 18 April 09 019.JPG
    18 April 09 019.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 38
Left Hand Rifling !

Very interesting item Dave, and which handed "rifling" is it !

I bet the Tracer has a left hand thread so on firing it will potentially drop off !:hmmmm:

Very few weapons use this "Left Hand Rifling" so your item is unusual just for that reason alone.

Last edited:
Looks left to me, its the other way to all my other fired projectiles. Have a close look at the pictures.

Dave.

OOPS Ozzie I've just re read your posting, doh!
Yes the THREAD, I can't undo it at the moment but will work on it carefully.
Dave.

Daylight Tracer Round,

Spanish (South American) or Italian contract?

Tim.G.

Last edited:
Thanks Tim, what would the tracer chemical be? Presumably something a lot different from a night tracer, also its a very large tracer for such a small projectile.

What case would this go in? I assume something a lot longer than a standard pom pom?

Dave.

Dave,

I would expect Vickers Armstrong to use one of the accepted SR compositions. This would almost certainly contain a Strontium salt, which would give the trace a red colour. Barium salts are generally used for green tracer but that would appear to be only for SAA (I was surprised to discover that British post 1960 (maybe earlier) tracers (non SAA) were either red or white with a hint of green, what theyre using there I dont know). .

The difference between a day and night tracer is the latter is normally of the Dark Ignition variety. Generally, in the case of a Dark ignition tracer a priming layer of S.F.G. 12 powder may be pressed in on top of the ignitory filling. The purpose of this is to obtain a delay in the ignition of the tracer system so that the path of the tracer is not visible until the projectile is some distance from the muzzle. The reason for this is:-

To prevent the firer being dazzled by the brilliant flame emitted.

To reduce the possibility of the gun position being identified by the enemy.

As respects to what case it used, Ive no idea

Regards

Tim. G

WOW thanks Tim for a very detailed explanation, that makes it a lot clearer now, I'd often wondered how daylight tracers worked.

Dave.