What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2.75 Inch Mk 1 HE / Fragmentation warhead

DEADLINE222

I have what I know is a 2.75 Inch MK 1 warhead of some type.

I would like to determine the type of fuze installed on the warhead.

The fuze is stamped 456924-A-NGF-M17.

As you can see in the image, the fuze is secured with the ''punch marks'' ( I removed ) so I assume the fuze and warhead body are not a single piece.

The warhead body is was made or inspected by ''MAU''. There are no other stampings that I feel are relevant.

The warhead was attached to the old style, MK 1 motor by the same ''punch marks''.

The warhead and motor were originally painted navy blue with ''INERT'' stenciled on the motor, and eventually spray painted gold.

The motor's nozzles have a red material in them and what looks like remnants of an ignition wire.

The motor is empty, where the warhead weighs 5.7 pounds; the same as a service specimen.

Is this a factory and / or arsenal training or dummy rocket with specific nomenclature?

Is the fuze removable? Is it an original inert fuze or solid dummy?

NGF.jpg

I think I may have the same kind of warhead as you on my MK4, and I think they are solid metal, so even if it where to come off, it would just be a fuze shaped chunk of metal.

A fuze shaped piece of metal, provided it is threaded and original is acceptable.

I plan to restore this rocket to the likes of the earliest, fielded examples.

However, if there is a documented practice and or drill rocket that utilizes the above mentioned components, I will restore it as such.

I have a feeling this is a sand or plaster filled practice. I doubt the fuze will unscrew. There are other examples of your style 2.75 practice. The H.E. warheads have a much different shaped fuze.

You have the standard 6-1/2 Lb. warhead for the original 2.75 inch rocket that used the shorter Mk. 40 motor. You have a plaster filled inert dummy practice warhead that has a steel nose plug instead of the aluminum fuze of the same shape that would be present in an HE or WP loaded configuration of this body. It just so happens that the fuzewell threads are the same on this warhead as the larger 10 Lb. and 17 Lb. warheads which took larger cylindrical fuzes with tapered tips. So, it is possible to screw the larger fuzes into the small warhead, but they weren't proper for it. The aluminum pointed fuze that would be proper for an HE version of this warhead, is so rare that I have only ever seen one in a private collection in the past 30 years. That fuze has a radiused ogive to match the radius of the warhead ogive.

Awesome.

I gather that this is a standard HE warhead that could be restored to represent such?

The fuze is essentially a steel plug. Is this plug exclusive to a practice warhead with nomenclature or could it have been utilized as a plug between factory and loading plant, for example?

The motor that came permanently attached to the warhead is the short, holding fin with the non integrated threading.

As I asked earlier, is there a nomenclature for the warhead and motor as a practice and or training assembled unit?

That video was made sometime around the Korean War.

Are you wanting the lettering of white letters on blue warhead for a practice one, or the yellow lettering on OD green of an HE Warhead?

Last edited:
It always amuses me to see rockets being loaded from the front,with the loader in front!

That video was made sometime around the Korean War.

Are you wanting the lettering of white letters on blue warhead for a practice one, or the yellow lettering on OD green of an HE Warhead?

If my rocket was originally built as a practice rocket; the practice one.

If it was originally an HE model, then HE.

This last one I have is a Mk.1 Mod 1 warhead. It may have been originally made for H.E. but "re-purposed" as a practice ? It is very similar to the warheads in the video. It's also up for grabs if anyone needs.

Attachments

• apcbc 6 pdr 029.jpg
    apcbc 6 pdr 029.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 26
  • apcbc 6 pdr 027.jpg
    apcbc 6 pdr 027.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 24
Red arrows indicate areas I cannot read and I am unfamiliar with.

Yellow arrows indicate the convenience the multiple rockets provide the location of "INERT" relative to the other stenciling. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

789456.jpg

You have the standard 6-1/2 Lb. warhead for the original 2.75 inch rocket that used the shorter Mk. 40 motor. You have a plaster filled inert dummy practice warhead that has a steel nose plug instead of the aluminum fuze of the same shape that would be present in an HE or WP loaded configuration of this body. It just so happens that the fuzewell threads are the same on this warhead as the larger 10 Lb. and 17 Lb. warheads which took larger cylindrical fuzes with tapered tips. So, it is possible to screw the larger fuzes into the small warhead, but they weren't proper for it. The aluminum pointed fuze that would be proper for an HE version of this warhead, is so rare that I have only ever seen one in a private collection in the past 30 years. That fuze has a radiused ogive to match the radius of the warhead ogive.

Aluminum pointed fuze is rare? Or a inert actual fuze?

I just picked up a early rocket body and the warhead with a aluminum nose so if they are that be super cool! Also think I might have a few of the early mk40 bodies and memory serves me well are 1950's dated as well.

Here is an example of the complete lettering on these 1964 dated warheads. These were made during Vietnam, early in the war before they started using the 10 Lb. warheads.

Two 7-round launchers and a 19 round launcher.

Attachments

• Plaster warheads.jpg
    Plaster warheads.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 35
  • Launchers.jpg
    Launchers.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 31
Thanks Hazord.

My motor was made in 1952. Between the images above from Critical Past, and what you have provided; I should be able to produce a correct restoration.