What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Pdr Mk5.

tigbrand

Premium Member
Thought id post a piccy of this,got the projectile in swap off a bocn member last year and have not found a fuse or case as there as rare as hens teeth.i went to see Rickoshea(Dave) today and tried his 131 Fabric fuse in the projectile.Heres a pic .

Mk 5 photos and some information.

Attached are a few pictures as follows:
Complete Mk 3 round next to Mk 5 projectile
Complete Mk 3 next to Mk 5 projectile and Mk 5 case
Complete Mk 3 next to complete Mk 5 round.

The Mk 5 case is a unique size. The case is 240mm long and the base is 50mm in diameter (or thereabouts measured with a ruler!!) - its no use trying to cut down a 2 pounder anti tank case because the dimensions are just all wrong.

The headstamp is as follows:

2pr MK V GUN
I
LOT 2
VSM
CF

The projectile has loads of markings on it as follows:

2PR
B.S.
RW LTD
16/10/17
RUDGE WHITWORTH LIMITED
H
X
L
(Crows foot)
P4

To quote Hogg and Thurstons "British Artillery Weapons and ammunition 1914-1918":
"Vickers, Son & Maxim were given the first orders for production in June 1916. This was no lightweight automatic weapon but a full scale piece of ordnance with a horizontal sliding breach block and fired a good sized cartridge which differs from every other 2pdr. It must have gone into production but we can find no mention of its subsequent employment during the war except that it was intended for the attack of marine targets and was also tried as an airship gun."

If anyone has any further information I would be interested in hearing from them.

Dave.

Attachments

• Mk 5 aircraft gun projectile.JPG
    Mk 5 aircraft gun projectile.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Mk 5 aircraft gun projectile and case.JPG
    Mk 5 aircraft gun projectile and case.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Mk 5 aircraft gun complete round.JPG
    Mk 5 aircraft gun complete round.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 67
I have seen a "Statement of Guns for RAF", dated July 1918, which details all of the large-calibre guns in service or on order. The 2 pdr Mk V is listed, but the comment is "2 on order - RAF trials expected". It certainly didn't get into production or service; I expect it would have been cancelled in November, like just about everything else that economically could be.