What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

28/20 case with stencilling.

SG500

Premium Member
Here's one I got out of someones junk box at Beltring yesterday for a very good price.
All INERT etc.
The mouth of the case is a bit bent and needs some treatment but the stencilling is particularly nice as follows:

155g
.R.P.3.3.05
rdf.1940/14
P.2f.40

Dave.

Attachments

• 28 squeeze and sign 002.jpg
    28 squeeze and sign 002.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 114
Hi Dave,

Well, depending on what a "nice" price is in your opinion, that's a great find!
These cases are pretty rare, and nowadays ALWAYS very expensive (I don't think you're very likely to come across them for anything less than 100 quid, and easily far more)!
Good score, and nice to see the ink stamp too!!!

Cheers,
Olafo

Hi Dave,

Well, depending on what a "nice" price is in your opinion, that's a great find!
These cases are pretty rare, and nowadays ALWAYS very expensive (I don't think you're very likely to come across them for anything less than 100 quid, and easily far more)!
Good score, and nice to see the ink stamp too!!!

Cheers,
Olafo

Hi Olafo, thanks, it cost 35.
Dave.

Hi Dave,

You can give yourself a high-five then: that's an EXCELLENT price!!

Congrats :tinysmile_classes_t

Cheers,
Olafo

Hi Dave,

You can give yourself a high-five then: that's an EXCELLENT price!!

Congrats :tinysmile_classes_t

Cheers,
Olafo

Thanks Olafo, yep done that:tinysmile_classes_t
Check your pm's about the Jap stuff.
Dave.

You may have a hard time with this one.

Having seen your "Butterfly" restoration I am sure this restoration is well within your capabilities SG500 but my oh my will you have your work cut out with that project-good luck with it and please keep us posted as to how it goes.:bigsmile:

Last edited:
Having seen your "Butterfly" restoration I am sure this restoration is well within your capabilities SG500 but my oh my will you have your work cut out with that project-good luck with it and please keep us posted as to how it goes.:bigsmile:

Chris this one was quite easy. The old projectile was so rusty I dug it out and it crumbled to pieces apart from the tungsten core.
To reshape the neck I pushed in a spare 20mm Vulcan case (that happened to be the right size) as a former then tapped the bent parts with a metal hammer (the other side of the neck bring supported on a wooden block). I've done one of these before and the case brass is thin and surprisingly forgiving. The mashed neck went back to shape a treat.
I then finished it with a cracking projectile that cost me 25 a couple of years ago.
Result, quite a good 28/20 for a total cost of 60.
All INERT etc.
Dave.

Attachments

• 28 20 restored 001.jpg
    28 20 restored 001.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 28 20 restored 002.jpg
    28 20 restored 002.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 59
Nice work Dave!!

I don't mean to hijack this thread, and I keep meaning to ask, but I suspect a few of us are lucky enough to own one of these rounds with the original 'Magnevin' ballistic cap, which notoriously rotts in contact with ...air? ..eitherway, pretty fragile.
I have one of these rounds with the original cap, and want to know if theres something I can do to protect it, rather than just watch it crumble and vanish? ... I wouldn't normally touch or alter an original, but surely thats better than leaving it to its inveitable conclusion

Rich

Last edited:
Nice work Dave!!

I don't mean to hijack this thread, and I keep meaning to ask, but I suspect a few of us are lucky enough to own one of these rounds with the original 'Magnevin' ballistic cap, which notoriously rotts in contact with ...air? ..eitherway, pretty fragile.
I have one of these rounds with the original cap, and want to know if theres something I can do to protect it, rather than just watch it crumble and vanish? ... I wouldn't normally touch or alter an original, but surely thats better than leaving it to its inveitable conclusion

Rich

Rich, I'd varnish it if I were you to stop the air getting to it.
Dave.

Hey Rich,

You could also try conserving the cap in parafine or any other transparent non corrosive fat/wax like substance.

greetz,

Menno