What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2Pdr APHE Mk1

RichardB

Premium Member
Here's one i picked up a long time ago, and wasn't certain it was really an APHE 2Pdr as it was tightly crimped into the case, and I didnt want to cut the case....however with a really small camera i was able to take a pic of the projectile base inside the case.

Here's the round and headstamp showing the missing primer
British - 2PDR HE.jpg
British - 2PDR HE Headstamp.jpg

Heres the date of the projectile - 11/36
British - 2PDR HE Projectile date stamp.jpg

and here's the image (not great) I took of the end of the projectile
British - 2PDR HE Projectile base.jpg

I know its not the rarest of projectiles, but still nice to confirm my purchase....after all this, please don't tell me Im wrong.!!! :tinysmile_shutup_t2

Any other APHE / HE 2Pdrs out there?

Rich

Richard,

It is the maker's monogram

Deakins (Silversmiths)
Sidney Works,
Matilda Street,
Sheffield1
'phone: Sheffield 23143
T/a: "Sidney, Sheffield"

In about 1936 the company changed its name to 'Sidney Silversmiths' also Sidney was subsequently spelt 'Sydney'

Regards

Tim. G.

Last edited:
I would appreciate a list of the HE projectiles used with the 2 pdr No.2 case, as I have found it difficult to get a clear picture of this.

I have a copy of an official ammo handbook which describes and illustrates a "Shell, HE/T Mk 2". This has a flat-nosed nose fuze and in fact looks identical to the HV HE shell used in the naval pom-pom, except that its weight is given as 2 lb 6 oz whereas the naval shell weighed 1 lb 11 oz.

I have also read that the Australians used a base-fuzed APHE later in the war, which they found useful for bunker-busting.

Any clarifications welcomed!

Photographs of my 'SHELL, Q.F., ARMOUR-PIERCING, 2-PR., MARK 1'.
Ive posted them on another thread but it seems worth while to repost them here.

AAAA 2pdrshell.jpg

Armour-piecing shell and fuze No. 281

AAA tracer.jpg

Fuze, percusion, base, tracer, No. 281
Tracer, external, No. 6 (Shot, practise, flat-headed, IT)
Fuze, percussion, base, Hotchkiss, mark IV)

BOCN 2PR APShell.jpg

Shell stampings.

I've got a spare No. 281 fuze missing the tracer if thats any good to anybody?

Quatermass

Last edited: