What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2pdr cannon ball Very old!

waffenamt

Hi Chaps,
Here is one that my pal Mick acquired from an acquaintance today as we were packing up.
Its a very old 2pdr cannon ball.All totally FFE and Inert.
He seemed very,very happy?. I dont know naff all about it??
What say you boys?

cheers

waff

Attachments

• S7004142.jpg
    S7004142.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 48
  • S7004143.jpg
    S7004143.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 55
Pictures a bit big so its 2 or 3 at a time until i iron bugs out..

Attachments

• S7004145.jpg
    S7004145.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 13
  • S7004147.jpg
    S7004147.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 13
English Spherical Schrapnel Shell;

Sir,
Measure the shell's diameter with a caliper and give us the dimention in inches. Weight may help.
It is a very nice specimen. Can you see inside under the fuze hole plug?
Regards,
John aka Bart

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuze and another shot of fuze pocket..

cheers

waff

Attachments

• S7004150.jpg
    S7004150.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 22
  • S7004152.jpg
    S7004152.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 21
Hi John,
Its over at my pals house but i can deffo see '2 pdr' stamped in the wood in the pics.

cheers

waff

Hi Waff,
What a lovely condition round,
I have seen one of these before but that had a set of four metal bands attached to the base and all meeting in a ring around the fuze hole to hold the ball in place. Is that a fuze or a plug have a feeling these would have had a wooden boxer fuze in. Thanks for posting i love the really early stuff, Best regards Weasel.

Schrapnel Shell;

Sir;
Not to worry, English smoothbore sizes may differ from U.S. which has 6pdr(weight of solid shot), 12, 24, 18 32 pdrs.
If the small brass (screw slot) plug will remove you can see if the black powder has been removed. A few drops of oil of wintergreen will loosen it.
The condition indicates that it is not a field recovery. That has laid up in one's attic since the 1860 70s I believe the cloth bag is a moisture desicant.
Thanks for posting it.

Hi Weasel,
My pleasure boys to post pics as i do like the digi camera!
Im sure you are correct on your fuze description,i deffo recall fuze in the conversation with Mick?
Will get some more info tomorrow night for you.
cheers

waff

Spherical Case Shot (schrapnel) with straps and sabot;

Did it look like this?
Bart

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi BD,
I shall certainly ring the old boy to ask him tonight . :)
He lives a few miles from me,so with the recession on i dont travel as often as i did.
best

waff

Spherical Solid Shot;

Waff,
In American field artillery spherical shells take their sizes based on the weight of their solid shot. i.e., 6 pdr (3.57 inches); 12 pdr (4.5 inches) and 24 pdr (5.63 inches). Diameter in inches
I am not familiar enough with British rifles to know their bore calibers in inches.
Regards,
John aka Bart