What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.7 Inch Cartridge help pleae.

Slapheadyeti

Hi Guys, ive picked up a 3.7 Inch round which is Approx 15" high. It has the following markings. The crows foot with a Capital N below. Below that are the numbers 5 little 5 big 98. Next to that CF F. Further round F2 then an A in a circle. Finally a capital M with what looks like an I in it. There is also a thorn or nail sahape stamped in it. Ther are three small tabs at the opening too.

IMG_4838 by slapheadyeti, on Flickr

Sorry, but guess this is what everyone asks, but im collecting a few for my son and hes really interested as am i. :)

Thanks. Wayne.

Last edited:
Looks like a 12 PR 12 CWT case (76.2 X 390R) 76.2mm is the calibre, 390mm is the length of the case and 'R' indicates a rimmed case.
The rim diameter on a 12 PR 12 CWT should be 103mm.
5 98 would be the date of manufacture
CFF indicates it been filled with full loading twice.
A in a circle, case annealed
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Wayne, There's a 12 PR 12 CWT at Tilbury fort which isn't to far away from you if you fancied see the gun in the flesh.

It was made by Viker Sons and Maxim, though the company mark is still for the Maxim/Nordenfelt Co
but by 1898 it was Vikers.