What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 Inch M62 cap

DEADLINE222

In roughly 12 hours I am to begin machining a new cap for my 3 inch M62. Would anyone happen to know the height/lenght demension to one of these caps? The demension between the base and where the windshield is crimped on would work too. If all else fails I will copy from a Naval 3 inch APC projectile. Thanks.....

The 75mm M61 and the 76mm M62 are the exact same length, but there are a number of the navy projectiles and they are shorter than the Army ones. Let me see if I can get a length for you. In reality you should try spinning one instead of machining it.

Thanks Hazord.

Rather than machining or spinning, I "turned" a new cap today along with replacing the shot rotating band with fresh copper.

Here are my progess pictures. Instead of crimping the cap on, I weld areas inside the cap and press the thing on, and then mill out the outside areas for the proper look. (Sorry for my lack of large technical sounding words; it has been a long day.)

After a some more body work, the next project will be the dreaded windshield. I do wish someone could expain to me how these were made.

000.jpg001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg

The windscreens would have been deep drawn thin sheet metal, since they were produced in such large numbers. The windscreens for later projectiles were made from aluminum and look like they are thin castings.