What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm Nordenfelt??????

imaokie2000

Here's you an odd one. The projectile measures 37mm exactly. It looks just like a 1" Nordenfelt except, it's 37mm. There's no way to know if this case is original to the projectile, but the case is a common 37x94R British case with no HS and there's no crimps in the side of the case. The case does appear to have what is left of a roll crimp that works out real well for the groove on the projectile. There's no identification marks on the projectile either. I've shown it to a few 37mm Collectors and I looked in Roberts books. This one is eluding us all.

Any ideas?

Nord (2).jpgNord (3).jpgNord (1).jpgNord (4).jpg

The projectile is 37mm diameter and 99.44mm long. The center of the crimp groove on the projectile is aprox 10.6mm from the base. After measuring the case, I found it to be a straight wall case. The case is 94.9mm long, and tapers from 40.07mm above the rim to 38.36mm to the end. What I thought was thecase neck turns out to be a wide crimp groove for the projectile. With the projectile fully seated, it is aprox 169mm long.