What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

Join over 14,000 collectors of inert military ordnance. Get expert identification help for shells, fuzes, grenades, and more — plus access our classifieds marketplace and decades of archived knowledge. Free to register, takes seconds.

38mm Nordenfelt projectiles

Burney Davis

Moderator
Premium Member
The pictures below show what I think is a strange anomaly between two 38mm Nordenfelt projectiles. The one on the right is what I would call a 'normal' projectile dated 1889 with the typical 'N'. The one on the left is an almost identical Projectile, the only difference being the threaded hole in the base for the fuze. The EOC projectile is fitted with a standard Hotchkiss base fuze.

What I find surprising is that the later projectile is dated 1919 ( and manufactured by Elswick - EOC) as the 38mm Nordenfelt had long been obsolete by the end of the first war

I know that various trials were carried out post war but I can't think why such an obscure weapon would have been used. Anyone have any thoughts?
 

Attachments

  • 1000064557.jpg
    1000064557.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 1000064559.jpg
    1000064559.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
I did find several 1919 dated 37 mm COW gun cases. That year is pretty rare and the COW gun was also pretty outdated, like the 38,1 mm Nordenfelt. I also never understood that. Maybe there are more examples.
 
I did find several 1919 dated 37 mm COW gun cases. That year is pretty rare and the COW gun was also pretty outdated, like the 38,1 mm Nordenfelt. I also never understood that. Maybe there are more examples.
This projectile was one of a pair, so at least one other is known.

Going slightly off topic, more is known about the 1 1/2pr COW gun ammunition. The picture below shows part of the trials process. I have the 1933 and 1941 dated cases and there is a 1942 dated case hiding somewhere.
 

Attachments

  • 1000064629.jpg
    1000064629.jpg
    672.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 1000064626.jpg
    1000064626.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 10
Top