What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40 X 158R shell case & headstamp

Orita

- I have this British made 40X158R fired [inert] brass shell case which on the side has these black ink markings: "RNC 4369" over "VK XXII" over "POII" over the letter "S" [with two lines above] over "VAD N 42" and over "IV". These markings may show the date and the ammo plant which loaded and assembled the 40X158R round, etc. Does anyone of you guys know the precise meaning of all these markings???? ---> The headstamp markings are very complex and starting clockwise from the 12 o'clock position these markings are: "2Pr. No1. MK II" (the round index), a very small "hourglass like mark" (?), "R.L" (monogram showing the shell case maker, Royal Laboratory, Woolwich Arsenal, Kent, England), the letters "PN" inside of a hexagon (?), a broad arrow /|\ (British manufacture), the letter "N" (Navy) over "1942" (the year of shell case manufacture), "LOT 845" (Lot number) and the letters "CX" inside of a frame (?). I marked with a question mark the meaning of the markings I don't know. Anyone who can help to identify them??? ---> The primer screw has a diameter of 20.1mm [0.791-inch] and on one half is marked ""No27 IN VAD 1942" with the mark "3B" inside of a frame (type of primer, maker's mark, year of manufacture, quality control stamp ?) and on the other half is marked "740 VAD 10/42" [lot numer, filling facility code and date of filling Oct.1942 ?). Does anyone know for sure the meaning of the primer markings???? What is the meaning of the code "VAD"???? => NOTE: From what I know, the 2 pdr Vickers 40X158R rimmed round was fired by these weapons: 1) Vickers 2pdr Pom-Pom British naval gun; 2) Vickers 40mm Class 'S' aircraft gun used as an anti-tank gun fitted under each wing of the Hawker Hurricane IID fighter; 3) 40mm Rolls-Royce BD gun used by some Naval aircraft; 4) 40mm Rolls-Royce BH-40 anti-tank gun which it seems that was never used in real combat. Many thanks in advance for any help, Orita 07/08/09 P.S. Since I cannot post my own pictures, "dano1917" will do it for me below. The top photo shows my 40X158R shell case with a dummy .50" Browning round [12.7X99] at right for scale. The bottom photo shows the headstamp and primer markings.

Last edited:
From what I know, the 2 pdr Vickers 40X158R rimmed round was fired by these weapons: 1) Vickers 2pdr Pom-Pom British naval gun; 2) Vickers 40mm Class 'S' aircraft gun used as an anti-tank gun fitted under each wing of the Hawker Hurricane IID fighter; 3) 40mm Rolls-Royce BD gun used by some Naval aircraft; 4) 40mm Rolls-Royce BH-40 anti-tank gun which it seems that was never used in real combat.
I'm no expert on headstamps, and sadly a major gap in our information is the lack of any book or on-line source which provides comprehensive information on large-calibre headstamps (there's a challenge for somebody!).

However, I can comment on your list of guns which fired the ammo:

1) and 2) are correct: the S Class was also an optional fit (along with rocket rails) for the Hurricane Mk IV.

3) and 4) need qualifying: the only R-R guns to see service were the manually-loaded BD guns fitted to some small naval craft (patrol boats and the like) in single mountings. The BH aircraft guns were tested but rejected in favour of the Class S.

There was also the manually-loaded 2 pdr sub-calibre "Low Angle" gun designed for economical training; the gun was just a barrel insert for 4" and 4.7" naval guns (there was also a "High Angle" version chambered for a shorter 40x107R round; the case is stamped "HA"). During WW2 many of these were fitted with proper breech mechanisms and mountings and installed on small harbour craft: the LA became the 2 pdr Mk XII and the HA the 2 pdr Mk XI. I wrote about and illustrated these in ECRA Bulletin 528-23.

IIRC blank 40x158R cartridges may also have been used in depth-charge throwers, but others will know about that.

40mm

As said before, a picture would be a great help.

I can give you the details on some of the marks. VAD is Vickers Armstrong Dartford, one of their many sites. The primer marks are as you supposed, "No.27 being the type and "IN" being Mark I Naval.

"CX" is the Clay Cross Co., Clay Cross, Derbyshire. I have seen the "hourglass" symbol before and am sure it is somewhere in my documentation but I cannot find it at present. I am also checking "PO" and "PN".

Regards
TonyE

pic posted for orita

BOCN member Orita asked me to post this picture in this thread to go along with his first post. So here it is. Dan

Attachments

• Pom-Pom[1].jpg
    Pom-Pom[1].jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 110
- @ dano1917: Many thanks for posting my photo! ---> @ TonyE: Thanks very much for the great info! I did try for many years [with no result!] to find out the meaning of some markings ("VAD", "CX", etc.) That small "hourglass like mark" is barely visible above the letter "R" [from the monogram "R.L"]. I like the big complex British headstamps and primer markings which in fact tell the complete story of the shell case and round. ---> @ Tony Williams: Thanks for the clarification you made, everything is very interesting. I have your excellent book named "Rapid Fire" (The Development of Automatic Cannon, Heavy Machine Guns and their Ammunition for Armies, Navies and Air Forces). => NOTE: As I mentioned in my first topic [introducing myself to the B.O.C.N. members], I also collect old original socket bayonets, mostly made in the 19th century. Some of the British made socket bayonets also are stamped with the "broad arrow" /|\ like my 40X158R shell case, a mark which means "Government acceptance mark" [from the point of view of the bayonet collectors]. Orita 07/09/09