What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

57mm projectile ID

Burney Davis

Premium Member
Can anyone identify this projectile recently sold on the net? What gun is it for and what shell case would it have been mated with?

Thanks

D

57mm 2.jpg57mm 1.jpg

I am quite sure it is the Dutch blackpowder filled projectile for the 6 veld gun (57mm) with the fuze No 6.

Attachments

• 6 CM Buskruitg.jpg
    6 CM Buskruitg.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 60
  • sb no 6.jpg
    sb no 6.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 34
I am quite sure it is the Dutch blackpowder filled projectile for the 6 veld gun (57mm) with the fuze No 6.

Thank you blu. Regarding the fuze, it doesn't look exactly the same as the one in the diagram as it has an extra screw in the top. Is there a slightly different model of that fuze?

D

I noticed the extra screw, it is for the percussion cap. Sometimes there are small diferences between the same model. The model with the extra screw i did'nt find yet but i will keep searching.
Blu

this shell is the initial design of the german Gruson company and was continued by Krupp after 1893. And these 57 mm guns were bestsellers sold to many countries around the world. There are single wall shells and shells with cast iron fragmented rings inside. And as blu07 said, there are many slightly different types of these fuzes (used on 5 cm, 5,3 cm, 5,7 cm and sometimes also on 7,5 cm shells)

Last edited:
Gruson comparables

Gruson projectiles in 5.3 cm and 5.7cm.

Attachments

• BLATT 07.jpg
    BLATT 07.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 59
  • BLATT 13.jpg
    BLATT 13.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 52
  • BLATT 15.jpg
    BLATT 15.jpg