What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 Pounder projectile.

Bockscar

Can any member give more details on this shell with regards to the red / blue colour coding?
The paint appears to be original with nothing underneath to suggest it has been painted over at any time.
The only marking on the copper driving band is CAL 1. There is a tracer cavity which appears never to have been filled.

20141128_143530.jpg

Bockscar.

Hi Bockscar,
I have seen these 6pdr 7cwt projectiles before, and also as complete rounds.
They are trials rounds, and I think also used for plate testing.
Cheers Tim.

Tim,
Thanks for that information...to be fair i did know the item to be used for plate testing ( and I should have made that clear in my first post - sorry!). I just wonder whether the colour code of red / blue had any relevance to its use in that area. I didn't know it was a 7CWT model though...just means it shall be correct in the 7CWT case that I have had for a number of years!

Bockscar.

The Cal 1 marking I believe indicates the radius of the nose - 1 Calibre. There should be more markings stamped into the steel including date, maker, 6 Pr 7Cwt, type etc.

The projectiles used for plate testing, mainly at Eskmeals in Cumbria, were kept loose. The rounds were hand loaded individually for each test shot. There may originally have been a tracer element but it was usual to remove these or burn them off as they served no purpose at Eskmeals.

gravelbelly

Thanks for that information Dave...up until a couple of weeks ago it belonged to you!

Bockscar (Robert!)

Further cleaning on this projectile has revealed the fact that it had been painted with the red colour overall and then the blue applied to the tip over the red. Stamps revealed indicate that it is indeed a 6 pounder 7 Cwt as stated by Mach1Bang, and a date stamp of 11/43 has also appeared.

Bockscar.

Another closer look at the stamps on the projectile reveal: AP 6 Pr 7Cwt VII 11/42 ?FS
Possibly trials then?

Bockscar.