What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

60x64R German L/21 Boat Gun case

Falcon

I got a 60x64R case at a boot sale today, can anyone post a photo of a round with its projectile in place, or a diagram of a loaded round? The case mouth actually measures about 63mm, but the case is correct length and does not appear to have been cut down. The extra few mm makes me think that this could be a round that had its driving band inside the case mouth. Is that true?

I am sure of the German Navy connection with this case as it had the crown over capital M. The full headstamp is: "M PATRONENFABRIK #KARLSRUHE# V 1917 143. ("#" Indicates flaming bomb markings). Any photos/drawings/information would be helpful. How common is this case? I have never seen one before.

6 cm/21 C/98
6 cm/21 S-Bts KL/21
6 cm/21 Bts KL/21

Originally developed as a small anti-torpedo boat gun. During World War I mounted on some landing craft and also used as a landing gun. Used during World War II on some small coastal defense boats and submarine chasers.

WNGER_6cm_21_skc00_pic.jpg

Information from:
www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_6cm-21_skc00.htm

brass case 60 X 64 R, rim diameter 83mm, separate loaded.

Here's the pictures:

Case (with AA battery for scale)
boat_gun_case.jpg

boat_gun_hstp.jpg

Thanks for the information quatermass.