What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm Shrapnel USA

DEADLINE222

Hey guys...

Picked up two 75mm Shrapnels today; one complete with 1907 fuse. :bigsmile:

One of these projectiles has some sort of metal inside of it that I have never seen in a projectile. Is this something that is unique and/or original thart needs to be preserved, or simply removed for display?

Thanks!

75mmshrapnel.jpg

Nose

It looks like a nose plug, has a big slot in it. Pull it out, I think I have seen those on made in US for Russia WW1 projectiles. Once you have it out post a picture of it and it will be identified.

Here it is. Whatever it is; it was stuck in the projectile very well and there was no way to grab it, so I had to put a hole in it to pull it out.
55555.jpg

You might want to make a diameter measurement on your projectiles, and check the length. If they have two crimping grooves, they are typically 3 inch instead of 75mm. The 3 inch antiaircraft guns fired them, and the 3 inch field gun. The field gun ones are typically shorter.