What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bakelite egg-grenade ?

engineer

A question to all grenade experts: ever heared of a bakelite-made version of the german WW2 egg-grenade?

Thanks, Paul. I know the Nipolite-grenades. But I mean another type: bakelite (or hard plasic) casing, filled with common explosives with embedded metal splinters

Could be a late-war version that was made from available materials like the Stock-mine was.(i think thats the correct name?).
When materials were getting short,then i imagine that other alternatives were used such as bakelite?
cheers

waff

Last edited:
I've absolutely no idea, waff. I heared the rumour that some of this items should have been found years ago in a norwegian lake.

In issue 4/1973 of "Soldat und Technik"-magazine was mentioned such WW2 egg hand grenade. Its size has been reduced approximately to the size of German WW1 egg hand grenades. The purpose of these Hgr. was usage in hot climates, like North Africa (TNT melts about 80 deg.C, so Picric acid (120 deg.C) was used as explosive charge). Soon was realized, that dangerous Ferrous Picrates might be formed, so the decision for usage of plastic bodies was taken. The bodies had embedded steel fragments.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 36
Thanks, Grenadier. I've never heared about that...but this story from Mr. von Tresckow seems a little bit odd to me. Using picric acid in the dersert-war instead of TNT because of it's higher melting point? So why only in grenades? What about the shells, mines and bombs in the desert? And the problem of highly sensitive metal picrates was known for decades. Hard to believe that the Germans in 1941 first had to wait for several accidents to realize that picric acid reacts with uncoated metal surfaces.

Hello,
I think this story is some unreliable too. I just answer to your question.
:nerd:

Last edited:
Hi Grenadier,

you do an excellent job and I really appreciate your postings. I've got a lot of new informations from you. I didn't want to run you down. I just critically examined this story.

Here some pics ot such a mysterious german Bakelite grenade. It's size comes up to the "common" egg. I've bought it for authentic - but I'm troubled by doubts.

Attachments

• Bak.1a.jpg
    Bak.1a.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Bak.1b.jpg
    Bak.1b.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Bak.1c.JPG
    Bak.1c.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 31
Are there any markings of date or maker on the body?
I think its looks real enough,i will stick with my theory of using whatever material was available late-war?

cheers

waff

It could be an experimental one therefore rare,so you can cry tears of joy!!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

cheers

waff

Hmm,i dunno?

When was bakelite stopped being used in general?,that might tie down the age a bit?

best

waff

Thanks.... but an expensive fake :tinysmile_cry_t3: That sucks (sorry...)

Last edited: