What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

Join over 14,000 collectors of inert military ordnance. Get expert identification help for shells, fuzes, grenades, and more — plus access our classifieds marketplace and decades of archived knowledge. Free to register, takes seconds.

Blank ammunition in 57×441 mmR for QF-6

Dear all, I hope you find this well.
I am looking for both technical info on the 57×441 mmR round, including alloy as well as a supplier of blank ammunition in this caliber. I want to learn and hear your thoughts,
Also where I can buy it?

//Robert Salut
 
re the alloy

Unless there was something unique about the 6pdr cartridge cases (ie sharper than normal changes in the profile, unusually high stresses or temperature when firing, etc) the alloy would have been BS CZ106. This is a pretty much standard alloy of 70%Cu and 30%Zn. If there was something unusual then they may have changed the composition slightly with some additional alloying elements (unlikely to amount to more than 2% total). The cartridges were usually annealed and in some cases heat treated in specific sections, in order to allow easier forming and/or greater or lesser expansion rebound and/or higher mechanical pressures without cracking, etc.

I do not know the specifics of the 6pdr case.
 
Top