What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Lead coated Armstrong type projectiles

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Anyone got any drawings or photos of British Armstrong type lead coated projectiles.There seems to be very little available ,these would be usefull identification material for one of the teams i work with .If you have any pictures etc with description if possible but mainly the measurements of the various types could you please post them here
Thank you spotter

thats the sort of thing ,yes please to the extra pics and measurements weasel

The only decent picture I have is in Hogg's Enc. of Ammunition, page 31. I would have thought that a Treatise on Ammunition for the period would have drawings etc ? Tony.

Here is one from our Ammo school collection

Attachments

• IMG_3475.jpg
    IMG_3475.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 67
The only decent picture I have is in Hogg's Enc. of Ammunition, page 31. I would have thought that a Treatise on Ammunition for the period would have drawings etc ? Tony.
Hi roller yes seen the one in encyclopedia of ammo and the only treatise i have of that period is the 1897 one ,this does have some but not much info on the lead coated projectiles
as you know tho its surprising what other usefull info Bocn members hold ,

thanks all for the pics so far

This Lead coated round on the right is approx 8" and over 100lbs in weight,Found on UK range does anyone know anything about it.
the round on the left is 120mm and just for scale

Attachments

• DSCN0559.jpg
    DSCN0559.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 57
Here's one I used to have in my collection - from memory it weighed about 40lb.

Attachments

• Armstrong.jpg
    Armstrong.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 60
These pictures were taken by members of my section, during a call at the Glenbow Museum in Calgary Alberta, approx 10 years ago. They were identified at the time as Armstrong rounds.

britisharmstrong20pdr00nh0.jpg

Shot at 2008-10-10

britisharmstrong20pdr00ca0.jpg

Shot at 2008-10-10

An Armstrong lead coated projectile in the museum at Fort Nelson, hopefully you can read the description, but the calibre and weight of the projectile is not mentioned, Tony.

Attachments

• Artillery and Ammunition Fort Nelson Oct 2008 038.jpg
    Artillery and Ammunition Fort Nelson Oct 2008 038.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 38