What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British shell case manufacturer S&S - Who were they?

Falcon

Does anyone know which company used the maker's mark "S&S"? I have an example of it on a British 2 Pounder No.2 Anti-Tank case. I have also seen it on a standard (trench-arted so I didn't buy it) 2 Pounder AA case.

Thanks in advance for any info

S & s

Two options:

S.Smith & Sons (Motor Accessories) London Ltd. WWI
Deakins (Silversmiths), Sheffield. WW2

I think we can be fairly certain it will be the latter as they are shown as making cases and your round is WW2!

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Cheers Tony, if the name of the Company in Sheffield was Deakins Silversmiths, what does "S&S" actually stand for?

Falcon,

Deakins (Silversmiths)
Sidney Works,
Matilda Street,
Sheffield1
'phone: Sheffield 23143
T/a: "Sidney, Sheffield"

One of the previous titles of the company was 'James Deakin & Sons' In about 1936 the company changed its name to 'Sidney Silversmiths' also Sidney was subsequently spelt 'Sydney'. I suspect that the monogram may be a play on Deakins & Sons, or similar. A lot of monograms defy logic.

Regards

Tim. G.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses everyone. I suppose if the monogram D&S was already allocated to another company then S&S could have been used.

Falcon,

D & S was the monogram of Davidson & Stewart of Edinburgh. However, the use of a monogram by one company would not preclude the use by another. There are countless instances of companies sharing the same monogram. A quick search reveals that a minimum of eight different establishments had 'W' as a monogram and to complicate matters further some of the companies were possibly producing similar items.

Regards

TimG.