What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C190 Help Needed

Richard709

Hi All,

I have a C190 box that I am restoring and on the back is stenciled "WOLININGS" can anyone tell me what this means. Is it the maker, packer or type of shell.

Thank you.

Richard

Is the rest of the stencil something like "LTN xxxx mm/yy FFE/E WO LININGS"

WHERE xxxx is a 4 digit number mm/yy is a month/year date?

Last edited:
c190

There are no other stencil markings on the box, the box had been repainted before I got it some years ago and being at the back probably got forgotten about or was going to be used for something else. At one end it has a date 19?6 underneath that is IV and under that is W arrow D and on the other side of the handle is a Large N all stamped into the metal.

Richard

Without is now with

My C190 now has a set of wooden liners and the black tin complete with the lid to go inside, Does anyone have a drawing or picture of the markings that would have been on it. Thank you.

Richard

The C190 was/is used for numerous items. The current MOD classifications database has nearly 190 entries for the C190.
Can you see any of the previous stencilling under the existing paintwork?

Hi Exat808,

Short answer is no, I didn't find any markings on it apart from the one already mentioned, but as it is a naval container and dates from somewhere between 1936 and 1956. I would like to put it back to early post war naval.

Richard

found another stamp 8 43 which maybe the original date for the box or something else, it is stamped bottom right corner of the handle depression.

Last edited:
Dont forget that these containers were used and re-used as many times as possible. Even a 1950'5 container may still be found with modern stores.

pasted below is an example of some Naval items found packed in C190 -
GAINE N7
PRIMER ELECTRIC NOS 36,42,N5,N38,N39,N40,N41,N42,N43
PRIMER PERCUSSION NO 12N4 & NO 20 MK2 & 3
CARTRIDGE 40/60 CLEARING CHARGE
SHELL 40/60 MM HE FUZED 259 OR 306(TRACER IGNITERED)
SHELL 40/60 HE FILLED TORPEX TRACER IGNITERED PLUGGED
SHELL 40/60 PRACTICE WEIGHTED
SHELL 40/60 HE MK 4T TNT RDX/TNT PLUGGED FOR TRACER IGNITER AND FUZE
SEAWOLF IGNITER GM K74A1 ROCKET MOTOR (BLACKCAP)
FLARE PARACHUTE HAND HELD
FLOAT SMOKE AND FLAME 3.5 LB NO 1 ALL MKS AND N2 MKS 2, 3 and 4
FUZE NOSE MECHANICAL TIME N7 ALL MARKS

Good luck with the restoration - post pics when finished.

Thanks for that, the wooden lining and tin box was recovered from a damaged C190 that contained No 65 naval signal grenades. talking of boxes being reused lots of times I saw a C128 a couple of weeks ago dated 1928 still going strong, returned back into the system and will probably be used again for something else. I think I would like to go for the SHELL 40/60 MM HE as I believe they started service for the 2pr pom pom.

Thank you again.

Richard