What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chargers

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi Just wanted to show a couple of chargers both are stamped 1V and one has the oval and then three round holes where as the other has just has four round holes, is there any reason for this.
I also i have three chargers that look like Mk111's but i was told they were Italian made they are stamped from the top GM1V -GM 111-GM 11 and the bottom one is a genuine MK111
Andy

Attachments

• Mk 1V Chargers.jpg
    Mk 1V Chargers.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 26
  • fake chargers.jpg
    fake chargers.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 29
Hi Andy,
That is odd,the only 303 charger that I know of with a round hole at the "slot" end is the Mk III,but they have five holes,including the slotted one, one for TonyE me thinks!
Cheers Tony

Hi Tony , yes it is strange the only thing i can come up with is its a modified Mk1V.
Cheers
Andy

here`s a couple I have,one is marked IV CASr it is poorly stamped,the other is a four hole one marked IV S .I have others marked IV FN but they are postwar ?

Attachments

• chargers 1.jpg
    chargers 1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 32
  • chargers 2.jpg
    chargers 2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for showing them at least there is a few more out there, like i said they must be a modified Mk1V unless someone knows different?
Andy

One of the problems with identifying chargers is that so many countries made them and they did not have to adhere exactly to the British specification. Despite that, they were often stamped "IV" because that was what was stamped on the British ones.

I can think of Belgium (FN), Italy (BPD), Portugal (FNM), Greece (HXP), Latvia (S & B) just for starters. All except Latvia would be post war.

Regards
TonyE

Thank you Tony i new it must be something like that as so many countries like you said have copied them,
Many Thanks
Andy

I have just been looking at some photos of chargers made at the Australian Lithgow factory. They made Mark III chargers with five round holes and Mark IV chargers with four round holes, as pictured by you. Their mark IVs do not have the oval hole at the slot end.

Unfortunately I do not know how they were marked, although it would probably be a star.

I will ask a NZ clip/charger collector I know.

Regards
TonyE

Hi Tony, thanks for that i have four of the chargers with the four round holes and only one of them is marked J M 1V.
Cheers
Andy

I have just been looking at some photos of chargers made at the Australian Lithgow factory. They made Mark III chargers with five round holes and Mark IV chargers with four round holes, as pictured by you. Their mark IVs do not have the oval hole at the slot end.

Unfortunately I do not know how they were marked, although it would probably be a star.

I will ask a NZ clip/charger collector I know.

Regards
TonyE
Hi TonyE & Andy,
Don't know if this is any help,the Lithgow star(with a A in it),was changed to MA in 1926 on Lithgow manufactured Short,Magazine,Lee Enfields and bayonets.
Cheers Tony

Hi Tony, yes my rifle in my Avatar is stamped MA but nothing on the chargers only GM and J M but no star.
Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,
wonder if the markings have been reversed for some reason? both MG & MJ are Austrailian manufacturer's codes.
Cheers Tony

Lithgow chargers are marked with the Mark No. and a seven pointed "Star" which is actually like seven petals radiating from the centre. Lithgow made the Mark II with nib, Mark II without nib, Mark III and Mark IV. The later Mark IV or 4 (with elongated hole at spring end) were made at Maribyrnong MO or Bendigo BO. (The MO sometimes appears as MC).

The chargers with GM # are Italian, Giollo & Martinelli, and appear to be the Mark III type. The makers name appears on the bottom RH end of the charger with numbers from I to VI. I have no idea of the significance of the numbers. The box label is as shown:

Clipbox.jpg

Thanks Relbut, so i was right i saying that the five hole chargers are Italian, so i wonder who made the other ones its a good point Tony that the letters are the wrong way round i wonder.
Cheers
Andy

Seems that mine has no holes (see drawing), will get the drill out tomorrow.

Attachments

• IDW4539.jpg
    IDW4539.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 24
clips - chargers - clips - chargers -clips

Some fine chargers Andy. I'm trying to get something straight in my mind. From what I've read in the UK they are called chargers and in US they are called clips? Or am I way off base here...Dano

You have nearly got it mate chargers charge a magazine where as a clip goes in a magazine
Cheers
Andy

wouldn't it be great to fine a box of them or even just two:tinysmile_shy_t: one for my mate.
Andy