What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

colour of French WW1 powder (for replica )

pzgr40

Premium Member
I am busy with a cutaway model of a WW1 French High explosive shell for the M1897 gun. According to descriptions the shellcase is filled with two bound packs of "streifenpulver"(strips of powder), one pack on top of another.
Can anybody tell me the correct colour of this powder. I presume it is either black, either it has the colour of cordite (yellowish). This will enable me to put the correct colour of replica powder in the cutaway model.
Thanks in advance,
Regards , DJH

I have seen a photo of some French powder from this era. It is cordite coloured and looks like flat strips of dry pasta.

I got about the same awnser on the WK2 forum. So it is yellowish. Thanks for the info.
Regards DJH

I am busy with a cutaway model of a WW1 French High explosive shell for the M1897 gun. According to descriptions the shellcase is filled with two bound packs of "streifenpulver"(strips of powder), one pack on top of another.
Can anybody tell me the correct colour of this powder. I presume it is either black, either it has the colour of cordite (yellowish). This will enable me to put the correct colour of replica powder in the cutaway model.
Thanks in advance,
Regards , DJH

Hello
I have seen a lot of this powder strips.
The colours are various:
  • yellow
  • black
  • green
  • red