What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Depth Charge Fuze ?

Investment

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the remains of some sort of depth charge fuze ?

If possible, could someone in the know, please make a positive identification of the piece.

Many thanks,

Invest :)

Pic 1

Unidentified_Fuze__1_-5bb9766988a79e1266c4b86bce4651c7.jpg

Hi Invest
You've done it again! Where do you get all this stuff from?! It's a British Depth Charge Pistol (WW2 of course). I'm not sure of the Mark - either Mk VII or Mk X - it should be stamped on the upper edge of the rim - what's that at 4 o'clock in picture 1? You'll get principle of operation from OP1665 (see the Hydrostatic Pistol thread).
Regards
eodda

Hello Eodda,
It's from a local museum.
The curator allowed me to take a few pics.
Many thanks for identifying it :laugh:
Cheers,
Invest :)

Hi everyone
here is a hydrotatic pistol fitted to one of Barnes wallis bouncing bombs which was recovered from reculver and donated to Brenzett aeronautical museum kent

Fuzeman
barnes_wallis_3.JPG

The 'Upkeep' Dams bomb (code name) had three Mk XIV Depth Charge (hydrostatic) pistols very simlar to the one in Investor's photos and discussed in the hydrostatic pistols thread, except for a different operating depth (see OP1665 - British Explosive Ordnance). There was also a simple pyrotechnic delay fuze - similar in principle to the No 42 Fuze used in Flares etc (again see OP11665), as a back up in case the hydrostatic ones didn't work.
eodda

German Armourers drawings

Here is a picture of the German bomb disposal diagramme of our upkeep bomb that failed to detonate
German_drawings_of_Bouncing_bomb_001.jpg

Re:German Armourers drawings

German armourers drawing of the hydrostic pisols used on Upkeep
German_drawings_of_Bouncing_bomb_002.jpg

Re:German Armourers drawings

German Armourers drawing as to how the Mk14 hydrostatic pistols worked
German_drawings_of_Bouncing_bomb_003.jpg