What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E.S.Mi.Z.40

sudelmuk

HONORED MEMBER RIP
This is a nearly complete unit of an E.S.Mi.Z.40, a mechanical-electric fuze marked cqx 42 (Friemann & Wolf GmbH, Zwickau).
The mechanical part works like a S.Mi.Z.35 with the difference, that instaed of a percussion cap an electrolyte filled ampoule is broken from the striker. The fluid between two electrodes sets up electric current, which induces a flash in the firing bridge exploding the mine.
The unit was part of a chain of nine fuzes, two chains where connected with one S.Mi.35. Additional pressure bars could be placed between the prongs of adjacent fuzes.
In all a great effort and much work to release one mine!
E.S.MiZ.40-1.jpg

E.S.MiZ.40-2.jpg

E.S.MiZ.40.jpg

E.S.MiZ.40-Zndbrcke.jpg

Fuzeman Steve will be so kind to add some technical details (thank's!)

E.S.Mi.Z.40 -part two-

unfortunately two parts are missing. the four plugs (two red and black ones each) and the metal u-clamp, both items necessary for properly connecting the firing bridge with the mine.
perhaps somebody has such bids in his scrap box??E.S.MiZ.40-Zndbrcke1.jpg

E.S.MiZ.40-Halteklammer.jpg

Igniter

Here is the text from official sources

Attachments

• SMiZ40 Igniter 002.jpg
    SMiZ40 Igniter 002.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 76
  • SMiZ40 Igniter 004.jpg
    SMiZ40 Igniter 004.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 67
  • SMiZ40 Igniter.jpg
    SMiZ40 Igniter.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Sud SMI40.jpg
    Sud SMI40.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited by a moderator:
I think that compressing the file to upload has caused the print to become unreadable will retry when the batteries have been recharged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have fun with this...but it's not for sale

Cheers
engineer

Attachments

• SMi 35.JPG
    SMi 35.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 91
Hi All

I have one in my collection that can be seen at http://www.fieldgear.org/fuses.htm if that is of further help. I have never seen the "U" shaped bracket for sale either & perhaps were tossed away. The bridge screws to the mine so maybe that was found to be enough.

Trust thats of some use.

Best,.>Rob