What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early Chorley Practice Grenade

roller63

Premium Member
Recently bought this early Chorley Practice Grenade, marked : GREN. PRAC. CY-1 in nice condition with no damage to the lower lip, omitted from the later L56A1 bodies. Appears to be made of of a different type of rubber to the the later ones too. The markings on the lever are new to me, CY-C 08/82 and a rather hastily applied purple stripe, experimental maybe ? also there are no raised spots on the top of the lever as per L134A1 of slightly later date. Any thoughts or comments ? Tony.chorley 003.jpgchorley 001.jpgchorley 002.jpg

Nice Example Tony, here is my one and i have seen another example which was white bodied,,,,,, Dave

HPIM7650.jpg HPIM7651.jpg

Tony,

Nice find. The grenade is early for a CY-1 and I would say it is likely that the grenade was made for the Ordnance Board trials. I played a small part in one of the trials in that I threw a few for the conducting officer from the OB. This was at Longmoor Camp and I was in the TA. There were two models that I know of; the later one was fitted internally with a brass screwed adapter to take the fuze, and this was the design that became the XL56/L56; the earlier model did not have the re-inforcement provided by the adapter and the thread for the fuze was moulded into the rubber body, needless to say the thread got worn out and the fuze would not be retained. As Dave says there were white ones as well as blue but I have not inspected a white one so I cannot say if it is of the same construction as the above but my guess is that it is not fitted with the brass adapter.

Thanks Dave, Paul and Bonnex.
I have another body that does not have a brass adapter and is a loose fit for a fuze assy. Presumably that must be a very early one, unfortunately that one is in pretty poor shape, but it does answer a question for me.
It's nice to find something different ! the lever markings an lack of raised dots are what caught my eye on the one in the pics.
Tony.