What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eighteen pounder colour codes Q

Uisdean

Can anyone point me in right direction here namely what is significance of the orange band round fuse or has it been put there by tin of hum til I am new to ordnance collecting and should love to know what different type fuses were fitted to eighteen pounders during Great War ???Thanks Uisdean IMG_3260.jpeg

Orange an unusual colour for such a round, usually black body, Red band but lower down.

Thanks for your response My research being without any reference books (which I must now track down in the hobby)suggests that the British colourcode system has orange for tracer but don’t reckon any tracer shells used in artillery Perhaps white phosphorous which I do imagine was used in the great war

Find new pics I note the black paint band then a ring graduated one to twenty- two (seconds)?? below the seized up adjustment ring what’s seems to be a leather buffer o-ring Can you offer explanation for these features The orange paint is definately arsenal orgioneimage.jpg

Find new pics I note the black paint band then a ring graduated one to twenty- two (seconds)?? below the seized up adjustment ring what’s seems to be a leather buffer o-ring Can you offer explanation for these features The orange paint is definately arsenal orgioneView attachment 196303
Is it accepted thing to buy n sell on the site here??? I hope to find a buyer for the shell discussed plus a mod15 first pattern Zeitzunder hand grenade (inert) to any potential buyer I offer my bank details for transfer purposes .Regards.Uisdean

A tracer element would be on the base. It would be very unlikely to find a shrapnel shell with tracer, when i mean black i mean the main covering of the shell painted black. The so called leather O ring is most probably a cloth disc which these time fuzes had .

The orange is faded red. It is common to see the red faded like this. 18 Pr shrapnel shells were black (except for Mk II which was grey), with 2 x 1/2 inch (12,7mm) wide red bands placed 1/2 inch apart at the top. As these bands were applied quickly by hand, it was common for the fuze socket adapter to also be overpainted, giving the appearance that the top band was 1 inch wide.
The fuze you show is a No. 80 Mk VI or VII (all brass heavyweight) time and percussion powder fuze used on Mk XII “short” shrapnel shells.
If you look at the downloads section on this site you will be able to find 18 Pr handbooks that tabulate the different fuzes used on 18 Pr shells.
You can sell such items in the Classifieds section on this site, but there may be a number of posts required before you can use this feature (I’m not sure - you’d have to read the rules).

The orange is faded red. It is common to see the red faded like this. 18 Pr shrapnel shells were black (except for Mk II which was grey), with 2 x 1/2 inch (12,7mm) wide red bands placed 1/2 inch apart at the top. As these bands were applied quickly by hand, it was common for the fuze socket adapter to also be overpainted, giving the appearance that the top band was 1 inch wide.
The fuze you show is a No. 80 Mk VI or VII (all brass heavyweight) time and percussion powder fuze used on Mk XII “short” shrapnel shells.
If you look at the downloads section on this site you will be able to find 18 Pr handbooks that tabulate the different fuzes used on 18 Pr shells.
You can sell such items in the Classifieds section on this site, but there may be a number of posts required before you can use this feature (I’m not sure - you’d have to read the rules).
Absulutely delighted to have such a concise reply,now there is a further black paint band further up the fuse piece looks like applied by a machine though just as red one . Spot -on info thanks I shal navigate to investigation classifieds

What would you reckon a fair price for zeitzunder and 18 Lbr she’ll ???

I found such a fuze with a similar orange band while in France years ago. I doubt it was faded red, the colour was consistent around the circumference and the fuze had been in / on the field for about 90 years.

I found such a fuze with a similar orange band while in France years ago. I doubt it was faded red, the colour was consistent around the circumference and the fuze had been in / on the field for about 90 years.
Well having examined the ‘“orange” band I tend to think the chap was right and that it”s a faded lead paint If you check foto find a further black band further towards nose I believed it may have been a white phosphorous shell as these were used as smoke screen -of course ,the taboo anti- personnel use’The driving and is pristine un- etched so it’s not been a dud ;rather deactivated for some reason There must have been quite a number brought home as souvenirs though a weighty item it never put the retriever off I’m getting set to put it up for sale along with a first pattern mod.15 Zeitzunder granary’s. As these are to be offered to the community here I don’t want to be a shark so can anyone suggest a guid fair price .Now from rename of the Great War to Normandy forty- four and the Falaise gap where Henry Duncan was looking for souvenirs amongst the shattered remnants of the SS so cruelly bombed to bits in the bottleneck of Falaise On a rise a ruined farmhouse seemed ripe for marauding so to keep his loot Henry found a green metal suitcase c/w wooden handled over end closure of stiff wire bringing the clamshell case together with a hermetic tongue n” groove He described how he tipped out the contents: “rocket boosters” for I found after heaven me case for my schoolboy collection was an SS-issue raketenpanzerbusche booster case serving as a unit ammo box slung by various triangular ting I saw a video of the SSLeibstadarteAH in winter fighting The boys hung off on a mission one humping thecase being painted white Mine was in the German drab and noted some French grass stalks caught in thegroove. The day I got my treasure from Henry we were at his old mums house where he em went with me into his old bedroom to a wardrobe There the case sat just as he’d left it thirty years before ( this was in seventy- five) opening it revealed a black pony skin girls coat which fitted his daughter Eileen perfectly and was fresh as a daisy in the beautifully designed ammocase of Falaise

Well having examined the ‘“orange” band I tend to think the chap was right and that it”s a faded lead paint If you check foto find a further black band further towards nose I believed it may have been a white phosphorous shell as these were used as smoke screen -of course ,the taboo anti- personnel use’The driving and is pristine un- etched so it’s not been a dud ;rather deactivated for some reason There must have been quite a number brought home as souvenirs though a weighty item it never put the retriever off I’m getting set to put it up for sale along with a first pattern mod.15 Zeitzunder granary’s. As these are to be offered to the community here I don’t want to be a shark so can anyone suggest a guid fair price .Now from rename of the Great War to Normandy forty- four and the Falaise gap where Henry Duncan was looking for souvenirs amongst the shattered remnants of the SS so cruelly bombed to bits in the bottleneck of Falaise On a rise a ruined farmhouse seemed ripe for marauding so to keep his loot Henry found a green metal suitcase c/w wooden handled over end closure of stiff wire bringing the clamshell case together with a hermetic tongue n” groove He described how he tipped out the contents: “rocket boosters” for I found after heaven me case for my schoolboy collection was an SS-issue raketenpanzerbusche booster case serving as a unit ammo box slung by various triangular ting I saw a video of the SSLeibstadarteAH in winter fighting The boys hung off on a mission one humping thecase being painted white Mine was in the German drab and noted some French grass stalks caught in thegroove. The day I got my treasure from Henry we were at his old mums house where he em went with me into his old bedroom to a wardrobe There the case sat just as he’d left it thirty years before ( this was in seventy- five) opening it revealed a black pony skin girls coat which fitted his daughter Eileen perfectly and was fresh as a daisy in the beautifully designed ammocase of Falaise
I was to sell it just twenty years ago now to glasgows TreasureBunker and they said a re- enact or grippe got it to their delight