What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 20mm projectile ?

navyman

Hello,
Can anyone help me i/d this 20mm projectile?
I understand it to be a German aircraft round and that the green band indicates tracer, but it seems to have three colours, Brown, Yellow, and Green ?
Any help will be most welcome.
Regards,
navyman.

Attachments

• 20 mm 1a.jpg
    20 mm 1a.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 20 mm 4.jpg
    20 mm 4.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 118
20mm

Hi Navyman, That is a tracer round but I don't think it's German. I've seen the 20mm Becker German WW1 tracer round, and while the projectile is similar the shell case on the Becker is closer to the diameter of the tracer projectile than is yours. I'd have to say you definately have a 20mm tracer round, but what knowledge (very limited) I have I don't think it's German. Dano

Can I see a picture of the headstamp?

It,s a german 2 cm round minengeschoss 20x81 , for the german aircraft canon mg 151/20.
The green band denotes self-destoying.
Whate kinda fuze is on the projectiel , ZZ1505 or ZZ1506

Last edited:
Hi Navyman,
You have a WW2 German 151/20 minengeschoss aircraft round. The colour of the projectile should be yellow with a green band to indicate trace colour. the brown has come from a reaction or tainting of the original paint.
These Minengeschoss projectiles were an attempt to get more of a charge into the body of the shell by drawing the projectile body rather than the normal method of casting/forging by drawing it the walls of the projectile could be made alot thinner allowing for more explosive to be placed inside it, while at the same time making it the same weight as a coventional round.
Hope this helps and if anyone can add anything alse to this or correct me please go ahead. Best Weasel.

Hi Navyman,
You have a WW2 German 151/20 minengeschoss aircraft round. The colour of the projectile should be yellow with a green band to indicate trace colour. the brown has come from a reaction or tainting of the original paint.
These Minengeschoss projectiles were an attempt to get more of a charge into the body of the shell by drawing the projectile body rather than the normal method of casting/forging by drawing it the walls of the projectile could be made alot thinner allowing for more explosive to be placed inside it, while at the same time making it the same weight as a coventional round.
Hope this helps and if anyone can add anything alse to this or correct me please go ahead. Best Weasel.

Green band denotes Self - Destroying

Thankyou Blackwatch, you see you learn somthing new everyday. Do you have any info on how this self destroying action worked on these as i seem to remember the base of these projectiles being round so no tracer to burn through and action the SD, So maybe the green band was there to show something else ? Maybe tropical?
Best Weasel.

Last edited:
Colour codes for the 2cm M-Geschoss shells were a yellow body, with a green band just below the fuze if fitted with a self-destruct fuze (Zerleger: either ZZ1505 or ZZ1506). The SD was mechanically activated as the rotation rate slowed down.

Other HE shells were often (but not always) given a brown band just above the driving band when fitted with a tracer.

Thankyou Blackwatch, you see you learn somthing new everyday. Do you have any info on how this self destroying action worked on these as i seem to remember the base of these projectiles being round so no tracer to burn through and action the SD, So maybe the green band was there to show something else ? Maybe tropical?
Best Weasel.

The tropical 0ne,s have red laquar between the casemouth,
and projectile,and between the case and the primer, see pictures.

The brown discoloration is seen more on these minengeschoss projectiles. I was told that it is caused by cardboard protection sleeves which were placed on the projectiles.

Regards, Cornman

German 20mm projectile?

Hello all,
Thank you very much for all your help with this,(inert) projectile, I'll try and answer your queries;
It's presently cataloged as; WW2 german MG151, tracer initialised by heat generated from propellant charge, and set to self destruct at approximately 1000 metres. How does it know? (!).
The case is lacquered steel and much thinner than usual, (thanks for the explanation about that). Headstamp reads; 110d wg drv 42.
The fuze is zz 1505, also stamped 9(?) XW + 69 43. Is that the manufacturer and date?
The wrapping suggestion concerning the brown colouration sounds good as in some places the yellow shows through.
Will send pic of fuze later.
Thanks again,
navyman.

Attachments

• 20 1c.jpg
    20 1c.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20 3a.jpg
    20 3a.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 26
Hello all,
It's presently cataloged as; WW2 german MG151, tracer initialised by heat generated from propellant charge, and set to self destruct at approximately 1000 metres. How does it know? (!).
Not so - see my previous post for an explanation of the self-destruct fuze.

There is no tracer within M-Geschoss rounds. A few had a separate tracer attached to the base, like a stuck-on nipple, but yours evidently does not.

Thanks Tony,
Can you give me the correct nomenclature so that I can correct my catalogue, I'm getting a bit confused?
Cheers,
navyman.

Thanks Blackwatch,
I was asking Tony that question whilst you were sending that message!
All best,
navyman.

1505 fuze

Thank you for the drawing. With the information from Tony I can see how it worked.
I'm enclosing another picture of the fuze. Is the arrowed part a locking pin to secure the spring and firing pin unit?
Best regards,
navyman.

Attachments

• 1505 1a arrowed L.jpg
    1505 1a arrowed L.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 12
Thank you for the drawing. With the information from Tony I can see how it worked.
I'm enclosing another picture of the fuze. Is the arrowed part a locking pin to secure the spring and firing pin unit?
Best regards,
navyman.

Your fuze is a zz1505 A, thats the one with the locking pin.

Thank you blackwatch.
Don't suppose you know what the locking pin is made of? It would be good if I were able to needle drill it out and restore fuze spring mechanism, (if it's still in there), without damaging the unit itself? I have micro drills so depending on material should be able to do that, with care.
Best regards,
navyman.