What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Air Raid poster,very spooky!

waffenamt

Hi Chaps,
Here is a poster that i got at the Malvern show.Should look good in the collection room.
I think its saying "The Devil sees the light" and "Put it out" or similar? I will let my German colleagues on BOCN translate for me.:tinysmile_shy_t:
Its deffo original,you can tell with the ultra thin and crumbling paper plus its been stuck to a backing board a long time ago and framed.
Only one ive seen is a large repro version at Beltring 2 years ago and that was part of the re-enactors display.
Look at the wrecking ball in the skelly`s hand as he is riding the plane.

Attachments

• S7004087.jpg
    S7004087.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 138
  • S7004089.jpg
    S7004089.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Here is a shot of the printer and note the shadow of a cross in front of the person stood in the doorway with the light behind him/her?
Gives me the bloody shivers and i dont know why i bought it now!:neutral:

oops! just noticed the reflection of my lounge ceiling light in the last shot!

cheers

waff

Attachments

• S7004090.jpg
    S7004090.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 70
  • S7004088.jpg
    S7004088.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 88
Hi Paul
I thought they were street lights they look very old lol

Hi Chaps,
Here is a poster that i got at the Malvern show.Should look good in the collection room.
I think its saying "The Devil sees the light" and "Put it out" or similar? I will let my German colleagues on BOCN translate for me.:tinysmile_shy_t:
Its deffo original,you can tell with the ultra thin and crumbling paper plus its been stuck to a backing board a long time ago and framed.
Only one ive seen is a large repro version at Beltring 2 years ago and that was part of the re-enactors display.

Good morning, Waff - you've gripped the sense exactly! although an enemy is often a devil, here it is simply the enemy.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Thanks sudel!:tinysmile_shy_t:
Am i correct with the translation of the word across the poster? (Put it out or Extinguish)
I dont want to cheat with an online translator as i like to learn German words for my trips over there.

cheers

waff

Thanks sudel!:tinysmile_shy_t:
Am i correct with the translation of the word across the poster? (Put it out or Extinguish)
I dont want to cheat with an online translator as i like to learn German words for my trips over there.

cheers

waff

verdunkeln means to darken

cheers

Here is a shot of the printer and note the shadow of a cross in front of the person stood in the doorway with the light behind him/her?

cheers

waff

I'm sure that the use of a cross was meant as a talisman against evil, even the undead.

You'd be surprised at how close we are, even today, to those sorts of belief systems. Here is a link to an archeological site in Cornwall which, they think, shows witchey activity to the 1950's.

http://www.archaeology.org/0811/etc/witches.html

All in all, it is an effective piece of artwork on a number of levels. Good catch.

More spookey stuff

cheers

waff

On the same theme this is my original firebomb fritz poster.
i purchased it 20 + years ago with a lot of wartime press cuttings.
it survived very well being tucked into newspapers and not folded.#

The next one is another spookey skeleton german home front
poster which i found on the internet.
A translation would be most helpfull.

Best Satan

Attachments

• Air Raid Posters 001.jpg
    Air Raid Posters 001.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Air Raid Posters 002.jpg
    Air Raid Posters 002.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 49
Hi Paul.
I think it says the following: (The enemy sees the light - darken)

Hi Chaps,

Hi
Licht dein tod (Light your death)

On the same theme this is my original firebomb fritz poster.
i purchased it 20 + years ago with a lot of wartime press cuttings.
it survived very well being tucked into newspapers and not folded.#

The next one is another spookey skeleton german home front
poster which i found on the internet.
A translation would be most helpfull.

Best Satan

Hi Waffenamnt,
very good posters: now i post a death-skeleton theme Italian one. I think one of the impressive propaganda poster of the R.S.I. (Repubblica Sociale Italiana - the Fascist regime officially fell on july 1943).
It represent the Gorla tragedy (Gorla is a quarter of the city of Milan). That day (20 october 1944), a badly conducted air raid against Breda Works also caused the death of 184 schoolchildren and 20 teachers. Some B24s of the 451BG of the 15 USAAF dropped their bombs wrongly (Gorla was at about one km far from the target, there was no Flak, no enemy fighters, a milky way mission as said American airmen) and one of the 500 lbs GP hit a school where the children were yet on the stairs in order to reach the air shelter. Of course there were also responsabilities between italian autorities, with a badly operation in the alarm system: but obviously this was taken on a back seat, and propaganda only displayied the deadly attack with the guiltness of the airman. Personally i think war was the only responsible.
Today, to remember those young victims, in the place where there was the school, there is an ossuary, with a monument representing a mother who hold a dead child in her arms (but in a catholic point of view we can also see the "Madonna" who lead the children with her). Very impressive: if you wish i can send picture.
Ciao,
Andrew

Attachments

• Gorla.jpg
    Gorla.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 21
Thanks for showing that poster Andrew,it deffo brings the message across.
very tragic with the kiddies in your story.

waff

Hi Waffenamt,

i think that 60 years ago this was (like many others in England, Germany, Japan, etc.) a tragedy, now is part of the history. And air raids are one of my history interests.
I wanted to show to the members of this forum another skeleton theme propaganda poster connected to the air war, and i wished to give some little explanation about the meaning of this imagine, named "20 ottobre!", for no italian guys.
I like your your posters, especially the one with the skeleton with the ball in his hand (it seems got out from the 1562 Bruegel picture "The triumph of the death"): i hope tomorrow i could find a copy of it on in order to make a good wallpaper for my computer.
Cheers,
Andrew

Someone posted some photos of a military vehicle show in the USA on the IAA forum. This is some sort of German Armoured Truck. That poster in the back looks familiar.

100_4544.jpg