What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WW2 "Shaving stick" Grenade

roller63

Premium Member
Here are a few photos of a grenade I have recently acquired, I think it is the German WW2 "Shaving Stick" grenade but I am not sure, German ordnance is not my speciality. Perhaps someone can help me with a positive ID and maybe the correct name etc. It is an aluminiun cylinder approximately 98mm long and 46mm diameter. It is Inert and empty, there is a slight rattle inside. No markings on the body except for a seam close to the top. there are traces of yellow paint on the body and top of the grenade where the fuse screws in is still painted yellow.
The pull off cap on the fuse has the remains of red paint on it and is marked : CXL 43. The nuts that secure the fuse are brass, there is no string between the cap and fuse. Over to you Gents :tinysmile_grin_t: Tony.

Attachments

• MVC-647S.JPG
    MVC-647S.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 74
  • MVC-642S.JPG
    MVC-642S.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 51
  • MVC-644S.JPG
    MVC-644S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 48
  • MVC-646S.JPG
    MVC-646S.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 55
the makers mark on the BZE Pull Igniter CXL is Rachmann, metallwerke Jnh.
Wilhelm Rachmann
Haida/Sud

Hopefully this is of some help:

Text copied from Bulletin#59 german hand- & riflegrenades, Mar.7 1944 :

Description: This is a thin-cased "offensive" grenade with the B.Z.E friction igniter screwed into the top. The body of this grenade is an aluminium cylinder painted yellow. There are two models of this grenade, one being 3-5/8" in length and the other 4"in length. This grenade may also be used as a booby trap by the insertion of a D.Z.35 Pressure Igniter.

Operation: The head of the igniter is unscrewed and pulled thus drawing the wire through the friction composition and igniting the delay pellet. The grenade is then thrown and after a 4-5second delay, the delay element will initiate the detonator.

pcp.gif

BD

Many thanks for the replies Guys, my one looks very similar to the second one on BD's scan. I think I can say that it is genuine and WW2 ? I was not sure until I saw that last picture, thanks again, Tony.

Text from German bombs and fuzes, landmines and igniterrs manual.
Smoke Signal Flare
The base is formed as part of the cylinder with the upper disc crimped to the body.The filling is contained in a ribbed plastic cylinder. Painted yellow and cap of igniter is red.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 55