What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Z.Z 42 Fuze

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
I recently got these three ZZ42 fuzes from Lex,they are all slightly different .2 have a alloy ? bottom section and one is brass.One of the strikers has 2 holes in it and the striker is marked C22 44,and another one is manufactered without the ring on the safety pin .See pictures for more details,,are the differences just manufacturers variations or are they there for a reason..Also whilst on this topic i also received a relic one from waffenamt for spare parts..The striker in this one is different to all the others,its rounded, again is this just a variation or would this be a reject.again see attatched pictures...thanks for looking........ spotter

different strikers why ?

DSC00021.jpg

ZZ42s from Lex..thanks mate
Look closely they are all slightly different

DSC00026.jpg

These were used in many german mines and booby traps,Stock mines schu mines etc etc They are either pull(tripwire) or pressure activated,

Text copied from TM9-1985-2 German Explosive Ordnance 1953 :Description: The cylindrical plastic body which is threaded internally at it's base to take the brass detonator holder, houses the steel striker spring, the steel striker and the felt and steel striker retaining washers which also serves to centralize the striker. The striker spindle is diametrically pierced toward it's upper end to recieve the steel detent pin, which forms the link and the loop. The detonator holder accepts, at it's upper end, the detonator cap and, at it's lower end, the detonator. The detonator holder is closed by the safety transit cap which is removed prior to the insertion of the detonator when arming a mine.

pcp.gif
[h=2][/h]
Operation: Pulling on the trip wire attached to the striker end withdraws the detent pin and releases the striker. The striker, driven by the striker spring, is driven into the percussion cap, initiating the detonation of the mine.Employment: Designed for use in boobytraps and the stockmine.Remarks: This igniter has been found made entirely of metal. It may also be used as a tension release device by removing the detent after affixing a tension wire through the end hole of the striker.

Length: 86mm , Diameter: 13mm
The type with the extra hole for tripwire is 1mm longer

Last edited:
This picture shows the Z42 been used as a pressure fuze on a schu mine,basically when the wooden lid is closed it rests on the safety pin,stand on it and the safety pin is pushed out detonating the mines charge

544px_German___Schu_Mine_with_Z_Z__42_igniter.jpg

And shown here used as a pull igniter on a concrete mine,attatch a trip wire to the pin when its pulled out ,comes safety pin ,bang goes the mine

apconcrete.jpg

Great thread,but whats with the different shaped striker heads?
is it just manufacturers variants?

cheers

waff

Hi,

And this is how you find them today. Mines where disposed off bye Army EOD.

Schu_mine_42.jpg

Cheers Mad. B)