What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenade Maker

Wooly77

Hello again all, I have just come by this grenade body and would like to know who the maker mark is. I think it is an M23 but not too sure. It was covered in blue paint but I have managed to get most of it off. Just needs tidying up a bit now. Thanks in advance, Wooly

Attachments

• 23 Grenade a.jpg
    23 Grenade a.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 23 Grenade b.jpg
    23 Grenade b.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 47
OK... here goes nothing.....

I think it may be a Hart Ltd. South African and 19 would be the year????

I stand to be corrected......

I also have used a "call a friend" so I will get back to you if the answer differs.

just my 2 cents :crossedlips:

Hi Wooly,
i have one zackly the same, with an 'H' on the back but no number. I am sure it is a 23 as the pinholes are quite far back and the shape at the top seems right. Mine too was painted blue which was in fact a colour used for training purposes during WW1 and i am sure was its original colour.Its a shame you removed it. I am assuming it has no centre tube like mine and i think it probably was used for throwing practice. As for the letter H and number i am sure it is just a casting or foundry mark as very few if any no 5 or 23 mks 1 and 11 were ever marked with a makers name. That started with the 23/111. Many no5s and 23s 1 and 11 had such foundry marks, the most common being a shield or a number either on the front or the back of the gren.
Its body shape is very similar to the Gibbons Spring grens i have in my posession and ime sure its a 23.
Hope this helps,

Andy