What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenade photos

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I was recently given access to some photos from a museum collection currently in storage. Many are of common and readily identified items, others are of very rare and seldom, if ever, seen munitions. I was given permission to share select photos and will post a few here and there as time permits. I'll start here with the US T38E2 grenade, the UK No. 81 MK I, and an unknown (to me) experimental US. The experimental appears to be with a cardboard outer body and apparently three scatterable HE inner components - hand grenade submunitions? Hope you enjoy.

ICE-AB1-119-1.jpgICE-JV-157-4.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Hello US-Subs,
should you have more indications about your unknown Frag grenade, like dimensions, type of fuze,... ?

Yoda

I cannot give you what I don't have. For the most part I've only been given the photos. Some items have measurements, many do not. There are a number of people working to try and identify what is in the photos, in some cases the museum has identification, but it is completely incorrect. Sorry.

From a Brit angle the No 81 is very nice to see. Thanks for showing that at least four survive :)

Maybe just beginning Vietnam war, because the fuze is the last variation. These fuzes just came an the end of WWII, but those ones had a.....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH, I dont know how explain it, I just post some pics :).

Attachments

• IMG_3687.jpg
    IMG_3687.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3690.jpg
    IMG_3690.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3691.jpg
    IMG_3691.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3692.jpg
    IMG_3692.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3686.jpg
    IMG_3686.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 59
Next group. Start with a British No 80, followed by two unknowns. The first unknown is a rifle grenade, identified as having a length of 288mm, body dia. of 56mm. To me the design looks US, but the paint and markings look somewhat British. Markings are:

HEMC
HES
18904.MOD
DD4848,121

Last item is an unknown hand grenade. Length is given as 144mm, body dia. as 90mm. No markings visible on the body, fuze or base. By manipulating the photo in Photoshop I was able to pull some interesting detail from the inside of the grenade. looking at the construction of the grenade, the fragmentation pattern appears to be fairly similar to the US Shinkle, but that may just be my imagination.

Ideas?

a.jpgRG-1.jpg RG-2.jpg 2b.jpg 2c.jpg2d.jpg 2a.jpg2e.jpg2f.jpg

Just after WW2 Miguel not introduced into service, you really need one of the grenade books i have for sale on my website, looks like Jeff needs one also........ Dave

Jeff,

The grenade pictured in the last 6 images of your latest post is a No.1 percussion type Lancaster hand grenade. It was one of many privately developed types submitted during WWI to the War Dept. for testing. The cord was was wrapped around the wrist of the throwing arm and the time fuse ignited as the grenade left the thrower. There was also a No.2 type with a pipe handle that fired on impact. Both used the same body with extra internal lobes for additional fragmentation visible in your last image.

I don't think I've ever seen one in person but have seen photographic evidence of both types surviving in various private and museum collections. The one you pictured is easily the best one I've seen and is probably one of the official examples submitted for testing. Lancaster Engineering Corp. was a New York City company and the drawings I have of these grenades are dated June and July of 1917. Will try to get them scanned and posted in the next day or two.

Last edited:
Next group. Start with a British No 80, followed by two unknowns. The first unknown is a rifle grenade, identified as having a length of 288mm, body dia. of 56mm. To me the design looks US, but the paint and markings look somewhat British. Markings are:

HEMC
HES
18904.MOD
DD4848,121

[...]
View attachment 59386 View attachment 59389 QUOTE]

Jeff,

As Dave says the wire wound rifle grenade is the No 85 Mk 3 which was anti-personnel as well as anti-armour. It was worked on at the end of, and just after, WW2. This design was just a modified No 85 Mk 2. The last design in the series, before work on all rifle grenades was scrapped in 1947, was similar but had larger diameter cone and hence a fatter body.

The example you show is a trials model and the marking HEMC is actually ITEM then a number or letter. HES is High Explosive Substitute (to show the filling is inert). 18904 is the design drawing number for the body of the No 85 Mk 2 and MOD means its a modified design (adds the frag coil). The last number is the requisition number for the trials.

Number surviving is probably in single figures.

Last edited:
Here are the scans of the Lancaster grenade. These images came from a War Department document titled "HAND GRENADES UNDER DEVELOPMENT AND INVENTIONS SUBMITTED", dated December 15, 1918.

Lancaster No.1 Grenade.jpgLancaster No.2 Grenade.jpg

Rick, Norman, Dave, thanks for the info, it's is appreciated and will help in identifying the pieces for the museum.

Pete, don't know yet, there are a few hundred grenade photos mixed in with everything else - most are common stuff, but when I come across something that I don't recognize or haven't seen often I figure it is worth posting. Odds are I wouldn't recognize a No. 29 if I saw it.

Rick, Norman, Dave, thanks for the info, it's is appreciated and will help in identifying the pieces for the museum.

Pete, don't know yet, there are a few hundred grenade photos mixed in with everything else - most are common stuff, but when I come across something that I don't recognize or haven't seen often I figure it is worth posting. Odds are I wouldn't recognize a No. 29 if I saw it.

We will let you know if there is a picture of a No29 Jeff.... Dave

Its very similar to the No 16 or the No 34 MkIII

About 89mm in length and 61mm in diameter.

Pete

page 1.jpgpage2.jpgNow I know its a Lancaster grenade, great!!! I have had this article for a few years, never knew the name. Thanks Rick