What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High explosive shell for the 8,8cm 45 SkC/35

pzgr40

Premium Member
A nice new piece for the collection; a high explosive shell for the 8,8cm 45 SkC/35 gun as used on German submarines. The projectile is of the Stg (cast steel type, the shellcase is a brass clad steel shellcase. The fuze used is the EKzd C/28 (sensitive nose fuze C/28). Length of the shellcase is 389mm.
The shell is in mint condition, the original paint still completely in place:tinysmile_shy_t:

Regards, DJH

Ps, I am not going to cut this one.

Attachments

• sprenggranate Stg fur 8.8 cm 45 SK C35.JPG
    sprenggranate Stg fur 8.8 cm 45 SK C35.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 160
  • bodemstempel sprengranate Stg fur 8.8 cm45 SK C35.JPG
    bodemstempel sprengranate Stg fur 8.8 cm45 SK C35.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 116
  • 8,8cm 45 Sk C35 on captured U-570.jpg
    8,8cm 45 Sk C35 on captured U-570.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Ps, I am not going to cut this one.

I'm very pleased to hear you are going to give it a good safe home. It would have been such a shame to cut such an original item.

It looks really good. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

DJH...do you know if there were any AP projectiles used by the SK C/35?

PC

Lovely round Pz! :)

SG,
Ive seen a ww2 U-Boat round in my mates collection with a standard AP proj.

#Just checked and my pal tells me the ww1 version had a semi-armour piercing proj with a fuze underneath the cap.#

best

waff

Last edited:
I have seen WW2 naval 8.8cm shells fitted with pzgr projectiles but I always had my doubts.

The normal AP would only make a small hole and could easily be plugged and obviously would have to hit below the waterline for any affect.

I was just curious but didn't want to start a big debate and hijack DJH's post.

PC

Sorry for the late reply, and you're shurely not hijacking my posting waff.
As far as I know There was the High explosive, The AP (with the big charge, not the small charged white tipped), The Illumination, a drill cartridge as well as tar filled practice shells.
Regards DJH

Dear all,

I have a 8,8 cm and 10,5 cm U-boat rounds for sale. The 8,8 still has lot of paint on it, but the 10.5 is recovered from a sunk U-boat.

Drop me a line if anyone is interested. I used to collect U-boat items, but gave it up now in favor of WWII Vehicles.

Reg

Hinrik

www.ww2.is

Ps. I am not a dealer.