What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hispano 20mm round

RogerKP

red yellow.jpg After buying a bummer(!!) I could see that it had obviously been repainted . I removed the paint with difficulty to reveal this - see picture. It has a fuse marked No.2531G/N . I can see yellow paint within the lettering which implies that it matches the projectile. On the underside of the base of the projectile there is a circle with NC and a couple of symbols inside. It was mounted in a British cartridge case. Does the bright yellow mean that this an American Hispano? I know the British HEI is red and buff.
Thanks

hello
the bright yellow denote an HE loading the red paint denote an incendiary component
the No.2531 on fuze look british
the fuze can unscrew ? because we can find LIVE projectiles (insufficiant knowledge)

do these images help

Attachments

• 20mm 11.jpg
    20mm 11.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 36
Thank you for your reply, Tomsk
The diagram I think is inaccurate as it shows the British and the American as the same colour!

Hispano.jpg

if you look at the above, you will see that the British is buff and red, whereas the American is yellow and red.
Looking at your photo, would you describe the upper part of the round as buff or yellow - it's a bit hard to tell! Fuse is irrelevant as both the British and the US used the same.
It would be vey interesting to see the headstamp on your round, if that's possible.
Many thanks
Roger