What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Guard weapon The Smith Gun & ammo

Thanks for the comments and info guys, I'm glad I warmed this up now.
Dave, this SG is at Fort Nelson, Fareham, Portsmouth, is there another one of the same name in the UK ?
Tim, many thanks for the extra info as usual, am I right in thinking Trianco was the same as Triang toys ?
SGl, thanks for the pics, it always amazes me just what is stored away from view in museums etc. Tony.

Tony,

Two separate entities, "Tri-ang" was in fact a brand name used by "Lines Brothers Ltd." There were three brothers, three lines make a triangle hence the name. During the Second World war they switched from toy manufacture to ordnance manufacture and I believe they made Sten guns. I would be very surprised if they didn't make fuzes, mortar bomb tails etc., as well. As I'm sure you remember at lot of their toys were die-cast and thus they would have had the tools and the expertise. They were based Morden Road, Merton. SW19 (just down from Souith Wimbledon tube)("the world's largest toy factory")

Went to wall in 1971

Regards

Tim. G.

Last edited:
Thanks again Tim, another great piece of information. from what I can remember. a lot of their toys were quite big and used sheet steel pressings, so Sten guns would be right up their street. Tony.

Smith Gun Cartridge

Quatermass: What calibre is that blank cartridge in the Smith Gun round's base and what is the headstamp?

Hi falcon, I have just been through the original official handbbok for this weapon again and found that the cartridge in the base of the propelling charge is in fact a cut down .303" case. I am sure QM can tell you the headstamp. Tony.

anti tank shell for smith gun-looks like a No68 grenade but bigger.
smith_gun_ATK_shell.jpg
Thanks.
Attached are a few photos of one.
Empty/INERT etc.
Dave.

IMG_1844.jpgIMG_1845.jpgIMG_1846.jpgIMG_1847.jpgIMG_1848.jpgIMG_1849.jpgIMG_1850.jpgIMG_1851.jpg

OMG ! I have never seen a real one either ! is this in your collection ? Nice rare item ! Tony.

Very nice SG500, very nice indeed. I have never seen one of those either, thank you for showing it.
Best Weasel.

Anybody there who would have good resolution scans of the pages Roller posted initially?

Quatermass: What calibre is that blank cartridge in the Smith Gun round's base and what is the headstamp?

Here is my example of the cartridge, its one i dug and heavily restored but tried to keep all the important bits, the small plastic bit is what went between the two halves, there is also the cartridge protector,,,,,, Dave

HPIM7584.jpg HPIM7587.jpg HPIM7588.jpg HPIM7591.jpg HPIM7592.jpg HPIM7586.JPG

Great Item,
Could you please give me the length of the cut off 303 case.
Thank You.

Hello Aust 303 in picture 3 you an see the bottom of the .303 case, its flush cut at the bottom of the case and then pressed into the sides of the disc,,,,,,, Dave

Fascinating piece of kit, does any one have the ranges and effectiveness of it or other comments.

Also adding these images from US-Subs thread "Random Museum Photos"

not too sure about the paint scheme but its another example to add to this topic

ICE-JV1-277-5.JPGICE-JV1-277-4.JPGICE-JV1-277-17.JPGICE-JV1-277-14.JPG