What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification code factory

mogway

Hello,
I'm looking for the name of the Russian plant that has the code factory "22" (not bulgarian or roumanian).

Hi Mogway,

If you are refering to headstamp codes on small arms ammunition then I don't think that any Russian plant ever used the code '22'.

22 was used by Roumania, probably the Sadu plant, but I don't think anybody else has used that code.

Jim

What is that "22" located on Mogway? Images of the regarding item would be helpfull.

Mogway, where have you seen this number 22?
bar5428 has already stated that this code number relates to the Moscow Aviation Plant but he also says that they do not make ammunition. If you have seen this code on a headstamp it would be a great help if you could post a picture.
Jim

the cartridge case manufacturing code is "9-71-22"
9 :srial number
71 : product year
22 : Code factory

This is the loading data and 22 is the loading factory. We would like to see the head stamp of the case.

Is the primer stamped 558 ?

The case (556, Sibtekstilmash in Novosibirsk) and the primer (558, Start in Gorki) are Russian/Soviet. I assume the 22 to be a loading plant resp. a propellant manufacturer. The 22 is likely to be Russian/Soviet but could be also a reload from another country.

Last edited:
Thanks EOD,just shows how important a photo is to get the correct orientation of these markings

Tony

Last edited:
Tony, yes markings are at least 50% for a proper ID on CHICOM ordnance. In particular when it comes to manufacturers.

Hi EOD,
what do you make of this one please,it's on a 23x152B ZSU which I am sure is a factory dummy as the projectile id firmly crimped in the case but is empty of any propellant,the projectile has the red lacquer band but the original white?colour tip has been re-painted over with black paint,the projectile is marked with y(in electric pencil) then 21-33(33 within a double circle)-81n(n back to front crylic).
Anyway it is the asterix in place of the manufacturers code that I am unable to find any information about.

Tony

PC010004.jpg

Tony, your's here is Bulgarian. I think the asterix is not a manufacturer's symbol. The only known manufacturer of these cases in Bulgaria is factory #10 which is Arsenal J.S.Co. in Kazanlyk, so I think it is the case here too.
Usually the projectile markings are the giveway unless one finds it on a blank. The #33 is ARCUS in Lyaskovets.