What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification required

peteblight

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Can anyone provide an ID on this item.
It probably came from Germany after WWII, as it was with a large number of CW/smoke filled items brought back to the UK after the war for analysis.
It's been sectioned, so the depth measurement may be half of what it should be.

Based on the design features, i would guess that it is either intended for a burning smoke or a toxic smoke fill.

Height - 435mm

Width - 180mm

Depth - 85mm

Cheers

Pete

P1010062.jpgP1010064.jpgP1010063.jpgP1010065.jpgP1010066.jpgP1010067.jpg

Hello Pete,

You have a half part (cutaway) of a German gas generator. In our documentation this device is called "Schw KZ5", filled with 15kg of "diphnylaminochloroarsine". This device could be of French origin and used by German. I don't know much about it.

Cheers

After trawling through my docs last night/this morning, i've found a reference to this item.
Not a great deal of information, but it confirms what MINENAZ16 said.

Cheers

Pete

Datenblatt 29 - SchwK Z5.jpg

Pete,

Here something from a German reference.

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• Schw K Z5.pdf
    200.6 KB · Views: 52
the german document says that the Schwelkerze (Schw. K.) has been introduced in Germany 1941 from captured french stocks but production was continued.

Last edited:
I think this is the original french one.

Attachments

• schwelkerze.jpg
    schwelkerze.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 18
Yes It is ! (called "Pot chandelle Z5")

The candel pot is made with two parts, a part for solid toxic agent (diphnylaminochloroarsine) and a part for heating.
The toxic agent is heated (sublimation) which produces a gas emission.

Last edited: