What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illuminating round for the 8,8 cm SK C/35

greif

Some pictures of the illuminating round (Lg L/4,4) for the 8,8 cm SK C/35. This round was mainly used in the torpedo boat or coastal version of this gun.
The star shell is equipped with the mechanical time fuze Zt Z S/60 nA.
This round has a brass coated steel case, case length 390 mm.

Interesting about this case is that it was made from a 7,5 cm KwK 40 case. Sometimes cases from the 8,8 cm Flak 18 or 7,5 cm KwK 40 were used for this purpose when damaged or failed to comply with specifications, because the lower part of these cases have the same dimensions.

Attachments

• 8,8 cm Lg Patr 35.jpg
    8,8 cm Lg Patr 35.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 8,8 cm Lg L4,4.jpg
    8,8 cm Lg L4,4.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 8,8 cm Lg Patr 35 1.jpg
    8,8 cm Lg Patr 35 1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Bd 8,8 cm Lg Patr 35.jpg
    Bd 8,8 cm Lg Patr 35.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Detail Bd 8,8 cm Lg Patr 35.jpg
    Detail Bd 8,8 cm Lg Patr 35.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 52
Thanks for the pictures greif

You have 3 fantastic shells for the 8.8cm SK C/35. Such good condition is amazing.
It is very interesting to see the reused KwK40 case. I didn't know of this practice until now.

How did you find these items in such mint condition?

PC

I bought the AP and HE rounds about 20 years ago in Germany where they discovered a very large quantity all packed in the original containers. The star round was obtained from a private collector.

I bought the AP and HE rounds about 20 years ago in Germany where they discovered a very large quantity all packed in the original containers.

It is amazing that the shells could lie in storage undiscovered for 45 years.

It is also a miracle that someone was allowed to deactivate and save some. If such a discovery were to be made today it is most likely they would all be destroyed.

It is very interesting to see the reused KwK40 case. I didn't know of this practice until now.

PC

hi

previous information in the ECRA publication some years ago (better than the "reader's digest" :tinysmile_shy_t:)

:tinysmile_shy_t:

Last edited:
A very nice piece..... as I am used to from Greif :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Stunning, rounds, thanks for showing.
Any chance of a picture of all three stood together? :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Rich

Thank you all.
Hereby a picture of all three.

greif

Attachments

• Patronen 8,8 cm SK C35.jpg
    Patronen 8,8 cm SK C35.jpg