What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

Join over 14,000 collectors of inert military ordnance. Get expert identification help for shells, fuzes, grenades, and more — plus access our classifieds marketplace and decades of archived knowledge. Free to register, takes seconds.

Informations for reducers (heavy artillery French ww1 27cm and 28 cm)

kz11gr

Well-Known Member
Hello

I am looking for informations (exact dimensions, drawing, ...) for the reducers of large French heavy artillery shells , fixed on the top of these shells as adapter for the fuze.

Shells : 27 cm and 28 cm ,
I'm going to try making some out of wood or resin.

Thank youbocn.jpg
 
Hello

I am looking for informations (exact dimensions, drawing, ...) for the reducers of large French heavy artillery shells , fixed on the top of these shells as adapter for the fuze.

Shells : 27 cm and 28 cm ,
I'm going to try making some out of wood or resin.

Thank youView attachment 211025
For a display replica, I’d probably start with period French ordnance manuals and museum collections rather than trying to scale it from photos. Those reducers seem to vary depending on the shell and fuze type, so a generic 27/28 cm dimension may not be reliable.


It might also be worth contacting one of the larger French military museums or artillery collections. Even if they can’t provide a full technical drawing, a straight-on photo with a ruler beside an original piece would probably be enough for a wood or resin reproduction.
 
I would first check which shell you have, then you can determine which collar you need.The last photo is for a 370 mm; the others are used for a 270-280 mm in combination, 2 to 3 collars depending on the type of shell.
 

Attachments

  • canvas 1.png
    canvas 1.png
    210.3 KB · Views: 16
  • canvas 2.png
    canvas 2.png
    211.3 KB · Views: 15
  • canvas.png
    canvas.png
    184.1 KB · Views: 13
  • canvas3.png
    canvas3.png
    172.2 KB · Views: 13
  • canvas4.png
    canvas4.png
    174.7 KB · Views: 11
  • canvas5.png
    canvas5.png
    209.5 KB · Views: 15
For a display replica, I’d probably start with period French ordnance manuals and museum collections rather than trying to scale it from photos. Those reducers seem to vary depending on the shell and fuze type, so a generic 27/28 cm dimension may not be reliable. Same problem with online offers, the headline number can look useful until you check the details. On a casino like https://tropical-casino.com/ Tropical Casino, a bonus percentage or slot payout figure only makes sense with the terms around it. A straight-on museum photo with a ruler beside an original piece would still probably be enough for a wood or resin reproduction.
For a display replica, I’d probably start with old French ordnance manuals and museum collections rather than trying to work out the dimensions from photos alone. These reducers seem to differ depending on the shell and fuze, so I wouldn’t trust a general 27 or 28 cm measurement without knowing exactly which version it came from.


It might also be worth emailing a few French military or artillery museums. Even if they do not have a technical drawing they can share, a clear photo of an original piece next to a ruler would probably give you enough to make a convincing wood or resin replica.
 
Top