What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iraqi local made hand grenade

alan.military

The Iraqi military produced a local hand grenade with a plastic body, steel serrated spring and explosive in a white, tan and brown version. The grenades had a plastic plug in the bottom of the grenade marked H.G.E. and a hard black plastic shipping plug that could be removed to either use the Soviet URZG fuse used on the F-1 grenade, or the Bulgarian UZRGM fuse used on the RGO-78 grenade. The plastic grenade body came in two pieces that was either held together by three small steel nails or the plastic body was heated to seal the grenade at the seam. Other markings located on the grenade body were either stenciled on the side or applied with small white decals.

Attachments

• Iraqi grenades.jpg
    Iraqi grenades.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 264
  • iraqigrenades2.jpg
    iraqigrenades2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 146
  • iraqigrenades3.jpg
    iraqigrenades3.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 124
  • iraqigrenades4.jpg
    iraqigrenades4.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 145
  • iraqigrenades5.jpg
    iraqigrenades5.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 155
Nice items, the one i have is the same colour as the left hand one in your first picture. The one with the paper label is very nice, looks like more time has been taken over making it, heat sealed around the centre and labels. Tony.

More Pictures

Attachments

• Iraqi box of orange grenades.jpg
    Iraqi box of orange grenades.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 260
  • Iraqi IEDs and grenades.jpg
    Iraqi IEDs and grenades.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 277
Hello

This is what I have on this grenade found in Iraq.

Measurements:
Diameter, maximum: 50 MM (1.97 IN)
Diameter, minimum: 21 MM (0.83 IN)
Total Length: 75 MM (2.95 IN)
Weights:
Ordnance: 148 G (5.22 OZ)
N.E.W.: 36.05 G (1.27 OZ)
Designation: Unknown.

Type: Fragmentation (FRAG).

Painting and Markings:
Painting: White, tan, or brown plastic, or a combination of these colors may be found.
Markings: Embossed "H.G.E." on bottom of some grenades.

Features: See Figure 1, Appearance and Dimensions.

Material: Plastic.

Weight: 148 grams (5.22 ounces).

The belt was taken by the US military in Iraq (found an article on line quite a while ago). It consists of an Iraqi issue Air Force belt with the Iraqi produced grenades and ??plastic explosive?? all wrapped with black tape and wire with caps, no fuses (can not find a detonator, might have been disconnected for safety reasons before the picture was taken). Would have made a good sized blast if detonated. This is the only picture I have found of Iraqi produced grenades being used in a suicide belt.

Now there's something I would pay a little extra for. I saw a few of them on some auction site. I think they went for 350 USD.. Too much for this student.. :)

I heard you could buy them for $2 usd on the local markets.. Can anyone confirm that?

Missed chances!!

GRRRRR!!
I found FIELDS full of those things!!!
woulda brought a few back (only a cargo container full!) if I'd known there was a market for the things!
They were already inert, too!!
The bombed out ordnance factory near FOB Kalsu on MSR Tampa, south of Baghdad, if anyone wants to go back and get them.........
I'm a bit busy where I'm at now.

GRRRRR!!
I found FIELDS full of those things!!!
woulda brought a few back (only a cargo container full!) if I'd known there was a market for the things!
They were already inert, too!!
The bombed out ordnance factory near FOB Kalsu on MSR Tampa, south of Baghdad, if anyone wants to go back and get them.........
I'm a bit busy where I'm at now.

Hehe, just to mention.. $350 was the price a few years ago. Perhaps someone would pay $500 for one in great condition.. :p

I really love the yellow color. And the fact that they are a piece of history. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I paid around $100 ish a few years ago for mine, from the US via ebay in the good old days ! Tony.

I think I paid around $100 ish a few years ago for mine, from the US via ebay in the good old days ! Tony.

Same here. I wish I bought one of the white ones too.
It goes to show you that ordnance seems to come available in waves and once they're gone you've missed the train.

Iraqi Grenades

There are a wide variety of these Iraqi grenades out there. Not only in the color of the plastic body, but in construction and HE filling. The early grenades had two body halves that were held together by small nails inserted at 90 degree angles. This one normally had a plastic explosive filler. Needless to say the nails came loose or the surrounding brittle plastic would break and the grenades fell apart. Following that was a series of grenades with crushed TNT or cast TNT or plastic explosive filler and two pieces bodies glues together or taped together. Then, the last version I have seen, which I have attached a photo of one in my collection, had a two piece body heat sealed together and a large screw-on base plug in the filler hole. This one had a flaked TNT filler. The spiral wrapped frag sleeve is inside the plastic body, but not cast into it. There is a fuze well that is cast as a part of the upper body. The left label bascially says "Lot number4/2002" The right hand label says "Product Name, Offensive Grenade". Obviously they spared no expense in coming up with a model number or name. They grew from an almost laughable grenade with the nails to a fairly effective fragmentation grenade at the end.

Attachments

• Iraqi grenade.jpg
    Iraqi grenade.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 88
I also found some such grenades (all of them white, without nails), more of them, as I remember - inert. Because I've lost the only I had, could you answer my question? Was the inert coil made of ligth alloy?

Attachments

• iraqi_hg.jpg
    iraqi_hg.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 67
Iraqi Local Made Grenades

Hello fellow collectors, I am new to this forum. I served two tours in Iraq. Once in 2005 and again in 2008. I was an advisor to the 507th/2-4-8 Iraqi National Guard battalion in 2005 at Al Iskandariyah, Babil Province. I was an infantry squad leader and the Battalion Armorer/Supply Sergeant to the ING. I have collected a few Iraqi grenades and was able to bring several home after they were rendered inert. I have several Soviet F-1's that were painted as "paperweights" to satisfy the US Customs Inspectors. I also have 2 inert Soviet RGD-5's I currently have a few inert local made grenades in orange or brown with inert UZRGM fuses. At one time, while I was in country, I had a rice sack full of these. I would be interested in selling one or more of the local made grenades if anyone is interested.IMGP2454.jpgIMGP2453.jpgIMGP2455.jpgIMGP2450.jpgIMGP2452.jpgH.G.E. Marking

These were secured with small nails, glue and transparent cellophane tape. I still have the nails for this one. There are some small cracks radiating from the nail holes but it is in overall, very good condition. Asking $350.00 USD for each. I can take more pictures if interested. Semper Fi