What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italian designation for the fuzes known as "I" and "I.1" by the British

Temistocle

Member
Premium Member
In the 1948 document "ITALIAN BOMBS & FUZES" By Col. A.D. Merriman, the fuzes have a "British" designation.
I would like to know which are the Italian designations of the fuzes known by the British as "I" (175 mm long) and "I.1" (190 mm long), shown below.
 

Attachments

  • Fuze I.jpg
    Fuze I.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 27
  • Fuze I-1.jpg
    Fuze I-1.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 27
Merriman leaves the "Italian Designation" field blank for both (pp. 233 and 241), so the name isn't in his report. He does tie them down, though: Fuze I (175 mm, detonator only) is for the Bomba 3 cV, and Fuze I.1 is for the Bomba 20 cV, with the fall figure stamped on the plate (specimen "m.450") and a base plug threaded for a gaine adaptor. His bomb sheets give the old Italian names as "Bomba da Kg 3 c.a." and "Bomba da Kg 20 c.a." (cV = contro Velivoli). For Fuze K he records "Spoletta per Bomba da Kg 2", which suggests these were simply "spoletta per bomba da kg 3 / 20 c.a.". Has anyone seen a Regia Aeronautica document or a fuze marking that confirms it?
 
Merriman leaves the "Italian Designation" field blank for both (pp. 233 and 241), so the actual name isn't in his report. He does tie them down, though: Fuze I is for the Bomba 3 cV, while Fuze I.1 is for the Bomba 20 cV, with the fall figure stamped on the plate and a base plug threaded for a gaine adaptor. His bomb sheets give the older names as "Bomba da Kg 3 c.a." and "Bomba da Kg 20 c.a." online casino mit neosurf https://casinoswithneosurf.com/de/ gives me the same issue with game rules or paytable labels: if the original designation is missing, inference only gets you so far. Has anyone seen a Regia Aeronautica document or fuze marking that confirms it?

"Spoletta per Bomba da Kg 3/20 c.a." sounds plausible, but Merriman's blank fields make it feel more like a descriptive reconstruction than a nailed-down official title. A marking photo would settle this far faster than another cross-reference.
 
Merriman leaves the "Italian Designation" field blank for both entries (pp. 233 and 241), so the original name still isn’t stated outright. He does narrow them down: Fuze I (175 mm, detonator only) goes with the Bomba 3 cV, while Fuze I.1 goes with the Bomba 20 cV, including the stamped "m.450" fall figure and threaded base plug for a gaine adaptor. His bomb sheets use "Bomba da Kg 3 c.a." and "Bomba da Kg 20 c.a.", while Fuze K is listed as "Spoletta per Bomba da Kg 2". RIch Casino website makes me think of the same issue with incomplete game-history labels: context can get you close, but an original marking settles it. Has anyone seen a Regia Aeronautica source that confirms the wording?

"Spoletta per bomba da kg 3/20 c.a." sounds plausible, but Merriman's blanks make it feel more like a catalogue description than a confirmed service designation. The plate stamping would be the bit that settles it.
 
Top