What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese 20mm x 142 projectile colours

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
good evening, please see the attached photos which show a Japanese 20mm round that I picked up today. Sadly the case is a bit battered but the projectile appears to have its original colours - a plain steel projectile with narrow green and yellow bands and a narrow red band at the bourrelet. Can anyone confirm that the colours are correct and what they indicate. The projectile appears to have had a self destruct mechanism via a burn through tracer element.

many thanks

Dave

Attachments

• 100_5052.jpg
    100_5052.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_5054.jpg
    100_5054.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 45
Hi Dave,

Nice round - I had a similar once long ago...............................

The red band indicates "filled";
The yellow band indicates "HE";
The green band indicates "Tracer"

I have another note stating that a green band indicates a semi-steel (cast iron steel) but I believe in this instance means tracer.

So it is a 20mm HE Tracer (HET)

If the case length is 4.7/8" then it is a Type 97 AT HET;
If the case length is 5.5/8" then it is a Type 98 AA/AT HET with Type 100 small fuze.

Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
All looks original,the other markings in Japanese script often wear off first.

The case mouth is flared from bending the projectile backwards and forwards to remove it. I am sure that it will be easy enough to update the case so as to make a perfect round.

but the dents in the shoulder will be very difficult to get out! Whoever has it next will have to accept it like it is I'm afraid!

Easier said than done in our neck of the woods....could take years to find a case for it :tinysmile_cry_t: