What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese 20X71/RR Type 99 Mk 1

SG500

Premium Member
Attached are a few photos of a Japanese "Kei" 20 X 71/RR Type 99 Mk 1 round complete with its links.

In 1924 Oerlikon took over Semag and included in the take over were the patents covering the 20mmm Becker.
Based on this weapon three types of 20mm cannon were developed:
the lightweight type "F"
the middleweight type "L
the heavyweight type "S"
In about 1935 the 3 models were ready for mass production and trials were carried out worldwide with different mountings and cartridges.
Eventually only the Japanese Marine Airforce obtained a license for making the original type "F" gun and ammunition for use in aircraft guns.

The projectile in the photograph is flat nosed and black i.e. a practice round. The projectile would have a cavity closed with a base plug.

Japanese rounds usually show 3 or 4 crimp marks to secure the projectile, Swiss have 6.

I'd be interested in seeing cartridges of this type from other collections.

INERT and primer oiled etc.

Dave.

Attachments

• 20 X 71RR Japanese Kei type 99 mk 1 case.JPG
    20 X 71RR Japanese Kei type 99 mk 1 case.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 20 X 71RR Japanese Kei type 99 mk 1 head.JPG
    20 X 71RR Japanese Kei type 99 mk 1 head.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 20 X 71RR Japanese Kei type 99 mk 1 link.JPG
    20 X 71RR Japanese Kei type 99 mk 1 link.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 69
The correct head stamp

Sorry guys I attached the wrong headstamp photo, here's the correct one!!

Dave.

Attachments

• 20mm headstamp the correct one.JPG
    20mm headstamp the correct one.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 61
Hey Dave,

Nice bullet. That round and links look like they fell off the truck into your hand as they were leaving the arsenal. I've never even seen a link for that round before now. Good score!

20mm

I find myself fascinated with the 20mm canon ammo, from Becker and right on down the line. I have seen some of the coolest 20mm stuff posted in this forum. If you haven't noticed I have developed an affinity to the 20mm canon and it's not my fault. I love it!!! Dano

In 1924 Oerlikon took over Semag and included in the take over were the patents covering the 20mmm Becker.
Based on this weapon three types of 20mm cannon were developed:
the lightweight type "F"
the middleweight type "L
the heavyweight type "S"
In about 1935 the 3 models were ready for mass production and trials were carried out worldwide with different mountings and cartridges.
Eventually only the Japanese Marine Airforce obtained a license for making the original type "F" gun and ammunition for use in aircraft guns.

A nice find, Dave. My 20x72RB is an original Oerlikon, which is rare enough - I've never seen a Japanese one (although I do have a Japanese 20x101RB Type L).

I have a few comments on the history of the API blowback guns and their ammunition. Semag had actually developed the Type L by 1924; it was being marketed immediately after the Oerlikon takeover. Germany also made the Oerlikon FF, only in a modified version with 20x80RB ammo: it was designated the MG-FF. The belt-fed versions of the Type 99 only arrived late, in the Model 4.

The Becker was the ancestor of various guns using the same API Blowback operating principle. I have summarised their history (including a fammily tree) on my website here: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/apib.html .

I also wrote a separate piece on the Semag (Type L) here: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/OeFFL.htm

Thanks guys and Tony thanks for the update, useful information.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Nice bullet. That round and links look like they fell off the truck into your hand as they were leaving the arsenal. I've never even seen a link for that round before now. Good score!

Thanks John, the guy I got it off collected links and if the bullet was in it then fair enough. With me its the other way round, I collect the shells and if the link happens to be on it all well and good.

Dave.

20 x 71RB

Howdy Fellas,

A few 20s from down under.

2 x Jap & 1 x Swiss, all different H/S. 1 Jap cart has 4 x crimps, other has 6 x small crimps, Swiss has 6 x long crimps.

All pictured ordnance has been rendered inert & is FFE!

Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• IMG_4165.jpg
    IMG_4165.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4166.jpg
    IMG_4166.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 53
Very nice thanks for showing them ,they're quite hard to find in the UK.
Dave.

A few more japanese 20mm

Hi there,:tinysmile_shy_t:
Thought that I would post a few of my Japanese 20mm rounds.
From left to right;
IJN Type 99 MkII HE round,
IJN Type 99 MkI case,
IJA Ho-5 AP-T
IJA Type 97 AP-T

Talk about them being scarce!! Well yes the prices certainly reflect that as obviously the supply doesn't match the demand.
Now if you all want to flood the market just take a trip to the Solomon Islands. Back in about 1994 I went to this house in the bush behind Honiara where they pulled a huge rice sack from underneath the house. It was full of, from memory, Type 98 20mm round both HE and HE-T all in perfect condition complete with colour codings etc.
Wouldn't know if they are still there. Unfortunatly I left behind the few I had when I extracted myself from my ex inlaws.
Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE:tinysmile_shy_t:

Attachments

• 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Japanese Ordnance

Approximately six years ago I was given a collection of material from a Canadian soldier who had served on Kiska Island in 1943-44. Part of the material was his collection of Japanese ordnance that he brought back to Canada in ealy 1944 before heading off to Europe. All of the ordnance was crudely inerted by those who were collecting it on Kiska at the time. You will see that a small percentage of the material is Allied with the majority of it being Japanese.

Ackermanartifact2-JapaneseAmmunitio.jpg

Ackermanartifact3-JapaneseAmmuni-1.jpg

Ackermanartifact4-JapaneseAmmuni-1.jpg

Ackermanartifact6-JapaneseType93-1.jpg

I

That's a really nice collection you got given eodstorey.
I'm not into cleaning cases but it may be worth you doing a bit of careful restoration on the corrosion marks, they'll only get worse.
Thanks again.
Dave.

Sorry guys I attached the wrong headstamp photo, here's the correct one!!

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Nice one!
Your headstamp reads:
-20 = calibre; i.e. 20mm
-I-II = Empire year 1 (= 1941), 2nd group of 4 months, i.e. May - August
-Arsenal mark is for Toyokawa

Hence, your case was manufactured at the Toyokawa arsenal, in the period May-August of 1941.

Cheers!
Olafo

Hi Olafo thanks for the info on the headstamp, Japanese headstamps are not my strong point.
Dave.